Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any beekeepers using fitbit?

Fitbit is a pedometer, it keeps track of how many steps you take in a day. It's a pretty cool device, and on the website/through the app you can add food and water intake, view graphs charting your progress, see friends step stats, plus additional fun features.

I just wondered if anyone here uses it, we can be friends on there and keep each other accountable!

Www.fitbit.com

Default Re: Any beekeepers using fitbit?

I haven't seen that, but I have had a pedometer that my employer gave out to everyone for a "wellness" thing. I found out I walk over a mile a day just going to work, around work and back home. More if I work on the bees. But it's a LONG way from the parking lot and it's a big building...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yup , I have had a Fitbit for about a year. Glad to "friend" you. I am registered as Gail L.
    But just a heads up - I have been somewhat of a slug lately because I broke my big toe. I never realized how important that toe can be!

Cool Gail! I just went to the site and I guess you can't add friends by username, you have to either add them through email or Facebook. That is silly! but if you want you can add me through my email. it is tealwatkins@hotmail.com. I am sorry about your toe!

Michael, its pretty cool how the steps add up huh?

Yesterday I had 12,095 steps. That adds up to 5.4 miles. I know if I set out to walk 5 miles, I would get tired and not want to do it. But stretching it out over the day isn't so bad, and it is impressive to see what one can accomplish! I think my highest was 30,000 steps in one day. That was about 10 miles, but there are people that get that many every single day! It is crazy! I have one guy on my friends list that averages 35,000 per day. I tried to beat him one time, for a few days. He must run from sun up to sun down lol. I usually average about 10,000 steps per day. I do things like park really far away when I go to stores, make extra trips up and down the stairs while doing laundry, carrying one grocery bag in at a time so I have to go back to the car more times. It helps me get my steps in.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Fitbit is a pedometer, it keeps track of how many steps you take in a day. It's a pretty cool device,
    Which one are you using? Heading to the gym now and doing my 4 miles on the treadmill.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, I have the fitbit one. It is a tiny little thing, I can't believe I have kept it found and not washed it once in over a year!

Annnnnd now, just because I said that it is going to happen Enjoy your treadmill!

In 2012 I retired from a company with a big building and an insane process for purchase orders. My claim was that we should get wellness points for every purchase order.

First, you needed a signature from the program manager from whose project would pay for it. I do believe they could smell a PO and would run and hide when they smelled one nearby. That step alone usually required two or three brisk walks.

Then you needed a signature from the CFO, who was never there and when finally found would always send you off to get more information from another party. We concluded he hated spending money for any reason. He might require a signature from the CEO, who was, like as not, out of town.

Then you needed an accountant to determine what financial instrument was needed.

When the goods came in, another walk was needed to carry the invoice to accounting.

I suspect every PO was good for at least a mile and climbing the stairs six times.

That sounds like an interesting process! See, had you had a FitBit, you definitely would have earned some badges Stairs are such great cardio, and good for the glutes!

>My claim was that we should get wellness points for every purchase order.

Sounds like they had an unofficial wellness program...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >My claim was that we should get wellness points for every purchase order.

Sounds like they had an unofficial wellness program...
    Oh, they had an official wellness program, it just failed to acknowledge this obvious component.

Their program would give credit for stopping smoking. I was not eligible because I didn't smoke. And they would credit walking for a few miles three times a week, but there was no credit for two 28-mile bike rides a week (my typical training week), or the back-to-back 100-mile rides I was training for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    or the back-to-back 100-mile rides I was training for.
    Wow! Very impressive!

Barry, I have the fitbit one. It is a tiny little thing, I can't believe I have kept it found and not washed it once in over a year!

Annnnnd now, just because I said that it is going to happen Enjoy your treadmill!
    I would think I'd lose or drop fitbit one. For the same price I'd like the flex. Will have to look into it.
    Not sure I enjoy the treadmill, but I do enjoy the results of using it. In your 50's, fitness doesn't just happen by itself anymore!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I would think I'd lose or drop fitbit one. For the same price I'd like the flex. Will have to look into it.
    Not sure I enjoy the treadmill, but I do enjoy the results of using it. In your 50's, fitness doesn't just happen by itself anymore!
    It doesn't just happen in my 30's either haha. Yeah, I think the flex is a better option. It hadn't been released when I got my One though. I'll hang onto my One until I lose or break it. but yeah, if you get a fitbit let me know!

Wow! Very impressive!
    It didn't impress the company. And considering that a large fraction of the workforce participates in the Ragbrai ride, it is hard to figure that they would not consider training for cycling distance events in their fitness routines. But if you didn't do it three or more times a week, it didn't count. And since I needed daylight to ride and they had me working late most evenings ....

http://ragbrai.com/routemaps/2014-route-maps/

I have had a fitbit for about a year. I purchased the fitbit flex. My wife is the only friend I have on fitbit - she slaughters me every week in steps taken!

I am getting ready to upgrade to the newer version - my band is millimeters from snapping in two right now. The sleep tracking function is also great, and makes me realize I should sleep more.

Good luck on the fitbit! I have really enjoyed it.

Brian

Brian,
    I don't use the sleep tracking function, I feel like I wake up more, knowing my sleep is being tracked, haha.

Anyone can add me if they want, just put in my email (above) in the find friends link on your fitbit dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Which one are you using? Heading to the gym now and doing my 4 miles on the treadmill.
    Good job Barry and don't forget to log some time on the stair master.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Right now I'm working on the approach to Mt. Rainier. Once I get that down, the summit approach (stair master) is next! Actually I go 10 minutes on the cross trainer after my 4 mile walk. Perhaps I should be on the treadmill wearing my Zamberlan's?!
    Regards, Barry

Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

My daughter and I use the Basis band...I use it mainly to monitor heart rate. Great little device..no skin issues even with constant wear. As with other devices it is not great at tracking aerobic class workouts or equestrian activity.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06