Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First Cleansing Flight 2014

I am having a hard time understanding my hives this year. One hive was just a little active and the other two was nothing. So I rapped on the side of the box with a hive tool and still nothing. Alright, now I know they are dead so off goes the cover. Then I pop the inner cover loose and tilt it slightly and oh my God, out they come. So down with the cover and get out of there fast. I had no protection.

Well I never was a fast learner so same thing with the other inactive hive only this one has a hand hold. I tipped up the outer cover and there they are in full force but they didn't come after me like the other hive. So after thinking all my bees are dead I got bees in all three. I guess varroa didn't get them yet.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I am only dreaming of cleansing flights. Last cleansing flight for my bees was Oct 16 and I expect 40+ more days until the first spring cleansing flight.

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Another round of cleansing flights here in Syracuse, NY today. Unobscured blue skies and sunshine... around 45F with no wind at all. Still 6"-8" of snow on the ground. Bees are out in force... dare I say even bringing in some water for brood rearing from the meltwater. Will check them again under the lids in a bit... thank goodness for days like today!