Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Essentials on swarm trapping

All you need is one thing....LUCK!

not a very useful answer... just trying to find out if this is the correct oil

http://www.pureformulas.com/lemongra....nGGDbX5j.dpbs

Quote Originally Posted by JakeDatc View Post
    Yes that is the correct oil. You can find the same oil in the Health Food sections of most grocery stores.

In my experience the most irresistable combination for the swarm looking for a home is lemongrass essential oil, at least one old black brood comb and some QMP (Queen Mandibular Pheromone). I have a jar of retired queens in alcohol. I put four drops of that, and four drops of lemongrass oil. I have lured swarms out of trees with this combination and it works most of the time.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Maybe best not to use lemon grass oil too freely in the bait box if you are concerned about any microflora that a feral swarm may be bringing along with them, or if it is intended to use any combs that have been used in the bait hive, it has a strong aroma hence why it is used in aromatherapy plus...it has analgesic, anti-bacterial, carminative, deodorizing, febrifuge, fungicidal, antiseptic, antidepressant, astringent, diuretic, galactogogue, insecticidal, antipyretic, antimicrobial and sedative properties.
    Last edited by beekuk; 02-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.

>Maybe best not to use lemon grass oil too freely in the bait box if you are concerned about any microflora that a feral swarm may be bringing along with them

Much more than four drops will run them off anyway...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Is a one inch hole big enough? Biggest but I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    For an entrance hole? Yes that is large enough
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Much more than four drops will run them off anyway...
    Exactly, powerful stuff, hence my thoughts about not using it at all.

I will tell you right now.... Once you catch that first swarm you will be hooked.
    Scouting
    http://letmbee.com/2012/02/22/looking-for-spots/
    http://letmbee.com/do-it-yourself/ho...d-swarm-traps/
    Hanging
    http://letmbee.com/do-it-yourself/ho...-a-swarm-trap/

Additional scouting.... Once they start flying this spring observe every single outside trash can you pass anywhere you pass one. I use a bunch of different gas stations just to scout for bees. If feral bees are near there they will be drawn in by sugary waste.
    Good luck. Let is know your progress.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post

Would a caught swarm need to be relocated for a week (more than a mile away) then brought back?

Thanks,
    Find an intermediate location. I don't know what the minimum limit on time is, but I have moved them many times to a place 2+ miles away for 2-3 days then moved them back. Mr Bush has stuff on his site about some moving techniques.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

>hence my thoughts about not using it at all.

I guess it depends on whether or not you want to catch swarms. You'll only catch a fraction as many without lemongrass oil. Four drops on the wood is not going to affect the microbes in the colony in general.

LGO is very attractive to bees. I found that out a couple years ago when I had been putting up traps one morning and went to a winery that afternoon. I spilled LGO on my hands and bees kept on coming to me and landing on my hands. They werent interested in anyone else. When freshening up traps I have noted scouting activity within minutes of reapplication of LGO to the traps. With all of the chemicals in our environment I am not concerned about a couple drops of LGO inside that trap.
    If anyone lives near Modoc, Indiana there are bees there.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

How often does everyone freshen up the LGO?

Four drops on the wood is not going to affect the microbes in the colony in general.
    How do you know? If much more than four drops is enough to drive them off, then it suggests that even three drops is pretty powerful, powerful enough to knock down and kill varroa mites with other similar essential oils, so certainly powerful enough to kill microbes, especially being as it has a very strong microbial action anyway, and the only microbes may be just the ones on the bees, plus would using lemon grass oil not also class as a treatment, for those that were treatment free?
    Last edited by beekuk; 02-26-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    The ultimate size according to Seeley "Honeybee Democracy" is 1 1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    plus would using lemon grass oil not also class as a treatment, for those that were treatment free?
    Beekuk I can't tell are you joking or not. Do you seriously call 4 drops of LGO used as an attractant treatment? I hope not, but anyway if you don't want to use it.... DON'T...... I'm a pharmacist and think I have a pretty good handle on the idea of treatment.
    Good luck to you beekuk.... If you cannot use LGO then look into growing bee balm and somehow encore orating that into your traps....
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by LetMBee View Post
    I'm a pharmacist and think I have a pretty good handle on the idea of treatment.
    I'm a beekeeper, and have been using thymol in syrup feed for over 30 years, so know a little about it as well. Would using only four drops of lemon grass oil kill the microflora or not, even if only the weakest, thus causing an unbalance?

I know it causes varroa mites to drop, as does just plain lemon juice.

>If much more than four drops is enough to drive them off, then it suggests that even three drops is pretty powerful, powerful enough to knock down and kill varroa mites with other similar essential oils

Not anywhere NEAR enough to knock off any varroa or kill any microbes other than the exact point of contact with the wood.

Not anywhere NEAR enough to knock off any varroa or kill any microbes other than the exact point of contact with the wood.
    Why would more than four drops, say five, drive the bees off, strong vapor i would think, not only contact.

So we can assume that using only four drops of essential oil is not going to do any harm to a colony regards microflora, yes i agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast