Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Early release from Almonds?

you guys getting enough rain throughout the valley to bring on some later nectar flows?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Haven't had measurable rain for a week now. Even then it was just enough to wet the dust. Put it this way, the rice farmers are only being alotted 40% of their water this year. And I heard today that the almond guys down near Fresno will get zero allotment of irrigation and the only water they will get is pumping. Curious how all this will play out next almond pollination season.
    Coyote Creek Bees

If things keep going how they are, it will be the third year in a row for a non-existent star thistle flow in the foothills. Old gold mines and remains of towns are starting to show in up again in our lakes, some havnt been seen since initial flooding! Did see some snow on Lassen today, something i havnt seen all winter!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    you guys getting enough rain throughout the valley to bring on some later nectar flows?
    Ian,

Our rainfall has been scant..... Very nice what we have had but FAR from what is needed.

If we get much of a flow out of what we have had it will be a blessing.

Not much faith it will last very long.

Rain is supposed to show up tomorrow. Hope we get another 4 inches as the hills are drying out already. Not a good short term future for us if it doesn't.

Hope we get more as its time to get on with the task of raising queens..... After spending the past two days hacking through data regarding queen rearing for 2104 (with assistance from the great folks at the bee informed group) we went out to "brick" the ones that need to be picked up in the morning to be brought back "home" so we can start grafting Friday ( in the rain) While pulling a few lids I would say that so far the bees have not only cranked but are busting the lids.... Boy do they look sweet.....

Anyone else seeing the same.?

bees look OK, going down tomorrow and feeding again till we get rain out, just a so-so year so far.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Guess when they go in with 30 frames and only come out at 35 isn't much of an increase. Sorry! Our few beloved boxes look quite stoked. White wax everywhere.

After watching the news I thought your next post was going to be about your retirement... Seeing how you moved up the hill from being on top of one mine to the top of another I figured you and the Mrs. had hit the can big time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...asure/5817179/

For 10 years my husband has tried to chop out the star thistle from our land and then we start with bees and now I cuss him everyday because he did a pretty good job of it. Even the big fire on 505 did not kill the thistle on our land. I hid the chopper 2 years ago, so we had a little last year but not like before. Went to that Bayer deal at UC Davis and tasted the samples and nothing even comes close to thistle honey which he didn't have. Thank god it is raining as I type!!!!!

Starthistle is my favourite honey. Mow your grass in may to keep it from crowding out the thistle, and keep that weed chopper hidden. This with having beehives now should help your starthistle to increase each year. Late spring rains help it as well, hopefully we keep getting more rains this spring. I see the forecast for this storm coming now is not as strong of storm as they were hoping for a few days ago. I've gotten some sprinkles this morning and more is on the way this afternoon/evening.
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. John Muir

Since this thread is about early release from the almonds I am going to go ahead and fib. Well kind of.

Almond honey is my favorite. Stuff really bombs taste wise but the bees sure love it which happens to make it the worlds best bee aphrodisiac in my estimation.

Makes bee babies like nothing else coming out of ol man winter..

Glad you guys are going to finally get some rain.

Looks like two storm systems will pass through and drop lots of rain.

From looking at the weather on Accuweather and the state of bloom on Bluediamond, I'm guessing we're one week out in the north.
    As soon as the mud dries, trucks will be rolling.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Harry......... Spot on. When we were plucking breeders out of the almonds this morning as the rain began one of the orchards looked like it had light pink snow on the ground. Not a spot of dirt to be seen. A carpet of wind worn petals waiting for the bee trucks to blend them in to the soil. If we hadn't been pushing to beat the rain i would have whipped out the phone for a quick picture. One of the most intense petal falls I have seen in a while. Didn't help that my battery had 5% left and was "beeping" as I passed the best shot. Fill your trucks with diesel gentlemen....

A friend of mine grows a few cranberries and any rain during a bloom lowers the berry production. How will the rain affect almond production during a bloom?

Of course if it rains a lot that the bees cannot come out to pollinate. However, from the last rain until now there is a break of
    nice weather. Day time temp. is between 70 to 40 at night. During that time my almond tree got all the pollination it needed
    from the bees. Once it is pollinated this coming rain will not affect it as much anymore. You can say once a virgin queen got mated she is no longer a virgin anymore. So this rain only nourish the fruits and other flowering plants for me like the goldenrods which is growing profusely now. The early almond variety already done with their pollination from 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think the effect is that severe on the almond bloom right now with this coming rain. Since my local bee guy called me to pick up some bees after the almonds then I think it is already done with this year. Maybe another 2 weeks or so it is all over. Then time to pick up some nice bees for sale after the almonds. Maybe I can get him to find me some cordovan queens this season, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    No better nectar test than the intersection of a windshield at 70 MPH and a a bee buzzing through its vector at an in opportune moment.
    There is SO much truth to that!

Funny!

I was given a heads up for about a week from now.We were down taking off feeders on Tuesday ahead of the rain, and it looked like the Butte/Padre were hitting full bloom. Hopefully there will be enough breaks for the bees to 'gitter done'. Some hives are so plugged with almond honey and pollen, dont know where they will put anything else.
    Thought about taking more pictures but thought no point. We've seen it all before!
    Blue diamond does a great job of that anyway and the daily reports are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    . Some hives are so plugged with almond honey and pollen, dont know where they will put anything else.
    That is some really good news!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Some hives are so plugged with almond honey and pollen, dont know where they will put anything else. .
    Ahh..... Them feeder cans will be back in action before the dust settles. Me thinks after the second shake.

But, its great news for now, Mike.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast