Default They got the runs...

Did a quick walk thru the bee yard today as it was up to a whopping 42 degrees and sunny to boot. While wading thru snow nearly to my waste I saw some pretty heavy activity at ~50% of my hives. However almost all of them have some pretty serious signs of dysentery, worse then I've ever seen.

Just wondering what if anything can be done about it at this stage in the game. We've got another month or more at least before I'd even think about getting into the hives because we still have some pretty severe weather this time of year.

Two hives were really bad and the snow was dotted in probably a 15-20 foot radius with poo bombs and the face at the top entrance was pretty covered. I'm feeling pretty good having even some of them survive considering the winter we've had.

~Matt

Default Re: They got the runs...

Same here today. I took the inner cover off and had a bunch take flight releasing their poop. Had a good amount of bees in there. Set a super full of honey on top to give them more room and stores. Hope we get a 50 degree day in the next couple weeks where they can really get out and release. I didn't see signs of them pooping in the hive, so that's a good sign.
    Regards, Barry

yummy im so happy the snow is finally gone here. I can't remember the last time we had snow stay around for weeks, usually it snows and melts within a day or two.

Same thing here. They have been holding it for a month and a half so hopefully not too serious.

I have noticed the same thing but my bees' poop wasn't like the runs it was somewhat solid. I know if I were a bee, and I was holding out for a good day to go potty, Once I had the chance, I don't think I could hold it very long when I started flying. I know that the runs are a sign of nosema infection but I don't think my bees have it. Now, here in South Japan the bees are flying and are already collecting pollen. I can't wait for the Cherry blossoms to bloom. The bees make the most wonderful cherry blossom honey.

I lost a Buckfast nuc to dysentery in late January (my Buckfast colony with the lowest mite count). There was evidence all over the hive walls. Some of their uncapped stores appeared to be fermenting which may have caused the problem instead of Nosema. All the stores that didn't get capped seemed to take on water and started fermenting.

>Just wondering what if anything can be done about it at this stage in the game.

The hold it until a warm day and then they poop like crazy. What needs to be done? That's normal.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The hold it until a warm day and then they poop like crazy. What needs to be done? That's normal.

See, ya learn something new every day. Did not know that was normal as I have never seen that before. Certainly not this extent. Of course this is my first winter where I've had several hive survive to this point and have it be a rather severe winter at the same time. IOW what you're telling me is that on some levels this is a good thing and I should be happy I have lots of poop because that means I have lots of live bees :-)

~Matt

It's a good thing if you're seeing it on the outside of the hive. Not so good if it's on the inside. We've had an unusual winter where there hasn't been any breaks in the weather for the bees to get out and defecate, so they're holding it till they can. Sometimes they can't and release on the inside. This is were I've noticed that they tend to take a hit in strength and will suffer a setback, but usually they will recover.
    Regards, Barry

Stand in front of any hive on a warm day after a cold snap and you will be covered in yellow spots very quickly...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If they made it outside, I don't think it is a problem and normal. I had to refrain from eating that yellow snow last week myself. Feces were all over including the sides of the wrapped boxes but not a spot inside and it was in loose splotches outside. I do not treat for nosema.

Mine havent flown since mid december and the ground in front of and around the hives is covered with bee droppings. I"m glad to see they were able to relieve themselves. Now I just have to wait for some warm weather to see them out on a regular basis.

Old rule of thumb
    ......Don't hang your bedsheets on the line the first warm day. 8{D}
    Clif

Mine havent flown since mid december

Same here. It was 42 and Sunny yesterday so I took a stroll and looked. Had a 2-3 hives with quite a bit of activity and several more pretty covered in bee poop on the front. Two of the real active hives were surrounded by polka dotted snow.

~Matt

I know mine sure where glad to get out everyone had to go bad after at least a month of being holed up.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}