Default Top Entrance Solution For Skunks Questions

I had trouble with skunks in a couple of my yards last season. Before they become a problem again this season, I think converting to top entrances would be easier (and cheaper) than raising all my hives up onto pairs of double cinder blocks. (Raised some of them onto pairs of chimney blocks last year...those blocks are HEAVY and working supers that tall is no fun!) Be different if I only had a couple hives, but I've got a little over 100 and (hopefully) growing.

For those that use only top entrances in skunk prone areas, do skunks still scratch at your lower boxes making the bees angry to work with?

Any opinions on whether it would it be better to use solid bottom boards versus SBB?

I have 1/2" auger holes on the fronts of my deep brood boxes (I run double-deep 10-frame brood boxes with medium supers). Thoughts on plugging one or both of them?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    Steve Burton

Default Re: Top Entrance Solution For Skunks Questions

>For those that use only top entrances in skunk prone areas, do skunks still scratch at your lower boxes making the bees angry to work with?

Not once there is no lower entrance. There is nothing for them to get...

>Any opinions on whether it would it be better to use solid bottom boards versus SBB?

Either works fine.

>I have 1/2" auger holes on the fronts of my deep brood boxes (I run double-deep 10-frame brood boxes with medium supers). Thoughts on plugging one or both of them?

I have only a top entrance and am happy with that. When I have a rotted corner or a warped box that makes a crack, the bees seem to like those entrances, but I have on occasion seen a hive that was dwindled from swarming or other issues get robbed at one of those entrances when they forgot to guard them. I would plug them both, but the main thing, as far as skunks are concerned, is to make sure the skunk has to stand up to get to them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My hives with top entrances have had no skunk problems. By the way I'm putting top entrances on all my hives this year. As Michael Bush stated as soon as the skunks can no longer get bees from the hive they seem to leave it alone.

Michael and Stanisr - Thank you for your input. Very helpful.
    Steve Burton