Default strange question

after doing a trap out what can you seal the entrance hole with to keep other bees from stting up house again????... we have sealed a hole in a wall at a school 4 times in two years with spray foam, caulked and even put screen over it and they just continue to keep coming back.

Default Re: strange question

Put a rag soaked in kersoene in the hole spray the area where the comb was with kerosene.

I would ask to set up a trap box there, if it can be made safe from the kids. Maybe fenced so they can watch it catch a swarm. Should be informative and catch yourself some swarms the easy way!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsong View Post
    Put a rag soaked in kersoene in the hole spray the area where the comb was with kerosene.
    not possible...the will not let me tear the wall out....something bout historic society or something......I told them its not going to last much longer... the termites are gonna finish it off before they let me tear the wall out.

Quote Originally Posted by julysun View Post
    I would ask to set up a trap box there, if it can be made safe from the kids. Maybe fenced so they can watch it catch a swarm. Should be informative and catch yourself some swarms the easy way!

Now this may be an option

Quote Originally Posted by dawsong View Post
    Interesting. Have any others tried spraying cutouts with kerosene to keep bees from returning? If so, with what success? What else can be used? I've also heard of sprinkling the area with FixAll. Any other suggestions?

Not for honey bees, but we have carpenter bees in a few areas down here that bore 1/2" diameter holes through everything. Cedar and pine seem like favorites. The cedar box around hurricane shutters was destroyed in about 3 years. Drove the exterminator crazy where I rented cause there was a big list of not allowed pesticides by the landlord.

Then one day I realized the cattleman down the road had pine frame barns that were old and no bees. Asked him what pesticide he used and he laughed. Pump up sprayer with a gallon of diesel to spray all the rafters and it would last 3 to 5 years. When you see bees in the spring or fall again retreat. It worked better than the pesticides.

Diesel and kerosene are not that different.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

I wanted to ask if bee gone or one of those would last for very long.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

I had a similar one last year. Multiple entrance sites and old rotten mortar. I would seal a hole and they would chew a new one. Multimillion dollar 100 year old home that they didn't want me to cut the wall out of. I had to turn it over to the exterminator they have some chemical with long lasting residue. It was in a residential area where hobby bee keeping isn't allowed and the feral bees couldn't be kept out. I feel bad about that but when kids are involved you got to do the safe thing. I hope they aren't calling me again this spring saying they're back.

Getting that comb out and filling that space is paramount if they want to do it w/o chemical. If there isn't comb to rob they shouldn't be attracted to it. If the space is full they won't want to move in.

Fischer's bee quick and insect resistant expanding foam to fill the void. Then steel wool stuffed into the entrance sealed with a layer of clear silicone.

I doubt that a school would allow kerosene or diesel to be applied to the structure. I would go with the bee quick or almond oil.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

D1here, Are the bees new and established a colony on the left overs?,or robbers? or everyone didn't go on the trap out? Or?

Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    almond oil.

ok this brings up another starnge question...............almond oil is extracted from the almonds, correct???? dont people pay top dollar for bees to pollinate almond fileds???? how will this stop bees?

Yes. But it is in the nut that forms after pollination that the oil is found.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

You can put half a dozen moth balls inside the cavity and the bees will leave it and not return.
    Go to the hardware store and get a small bucket of premixed concrete patch. Fill the hole with the wet stuff and wait till it is dry.
    Spray the whole exterior surface with soapy water.