Default Yellow vs white wax

I got in my hives today, and was surprised to see a lot of yellow wax capping. Bright yellow. Not white. I know when the flow is on the wax is white. I'm wondering what this yellow wax means, if anything. It's different from honeycomb wax (but obviously this is honeycomb wax). Honey comb wax, to my eye, is sort of that opaque-ish beige. So do we have three colors of wax capping?
    Zone 7B. 8fr meds. 5 hives. 4 years. Still a beginner.
    (hr south of LR)

Default Re: Yellow vs white wax

Pollen on the cappings.

i see yellow capping when the bees are working goldenrod. could those be from last fall?
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

I had some last summer and the honey taste awful, other beekeepers had the same problem and said they made it from Bitter weed? It was a bright yellow color.

Mr. Beeman, I don't believe so. This was solid yellow, and most definitely wax.

I suppose it probably is from last fall, Square, and certainly could be bitter weed. Guess I'll just avoid it. Was hoping it was some other kind of indicator.
    (hr south of LR)

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminBee View Post
    Mr. Beeman, I don't believe so. This was solid yellow, and most definitely wax.

I suppose it probably is from last fall, Square, and certainly could be bitter weed. Guess I'll just avoid it. Was hoping it was some other kind of indicator.
    I think somebody last year discussed that bees will move/recycle a small amount of wax around the hive before the major flow gets started and they start excreting wax.

We have a plant which is a false dandelion. The pollen has a high oil content and the wax secreted by the bees gathering it, is a yellow colour.

When the bees tank up for wax-making on dark nectar like redbud, the wax is yellow. And yes, goldenrod produces yellow wax. My guess is the colony is feeding on fall honey.
    Walt

I had some honey from last fall that was yellow and very waxy. It took Goo-Gone to get it off the utensils I used to crush and strain. The honey is good though, tastes citrusy.
    "If I only knew then what I know now but keep forgetting"

Are you feeding sugar syrup? I sometimes see a distinctly yellow wax/capping when doing so.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

That's interesting, beeman. That sugar syrup would cause such a yellow wax. I wonder how that happens. I've had sugar out of my front porch. Not syrup, a barely wet slush. But I am sure that doesn't make a difference. That's interesting, because my guess would have been not from last year. This looks fresh.
    (hr south of LR)

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminBee View Post
    I wonder how that happens.
    It doesn't always...nor is it necessarily true in all of the hives being fed at the same time. Why? I have no idea but simply made a mental note of those occasions when it happened.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Beeman, I just assumed you knew everything.
    (hr south of LR)