Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Almond polination pics

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Smart idea. Jumping on board with properly marking your hives will potentially save your bacon and reduce the hassles for PCA's or other people looking for the answers as to who owns "those bees."
    Ok thank you for letting me know

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    Tehama Co. requires a sign at each apiary site with name and contact info.
    Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    >Tehama Co. requires a sign at each apiary site with name and contact info. <

Same in Shasta county. Super cheap signs.com is a good place to get corregated plastic signs printed up.
    http://www.supercheapsigns.com/

Who makes a good stencil?
    I winter in Tehema and Shasta.

Buy a plastic semi-transparent file folder
    Print a page with your name in big font -- a stencil style typescript makes it easy, but any font with slight adjustment for the O and e's works.
    Put page in file folder
    Use an e-xacto knife to cut out stencil from file folder
    Mount plastic in cardboard or woodframe to help with overspray and stickyness

Paint your hives with a spraycan, sponge or a garden sprayer.

A rag to periodically wipe down the backside of the stencil keeps the bleed and seepage to a minimum.

Honey-4-all, We all have pet leaves, It sounds like this is one of yours. People not stenciling there boxes. I see a lot of none stenciled boxes, even from big commercial beekeepers living in the state. What's up with that? Photo-bucket and youtube don't lie.

My older boxes aren't stenciled but from now on most will be. I plan to get a Ca id number and start branding with that number to. Just in case there stolen. In Oregon we don't usually run into that problem, California's another case. My older boxes were dipped in paraffin and stenciling won't work. Branding will but all will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    Tehama Co. requires a sign at each apiary site with name and contact info.
    That is a state law.

[SIZE=+2]FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL CODE [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]SECTION 29040-29056

[/SIZE]29046. (a) No person shall maintain an apiary on premises other
    than that of his or her residence unless the apiary is identified as
    follows:
    (1) By a sign that is prominently displayed on the entrance side
    of the apiary or stenciled on the hive, that states in dark letters
    not less than one inch in height on a background of contrasting
    color, the name of the owner or person responsible for the apiary,
    his or her address and telephone number, or if he or she has no
    telephone, a statement to that effect.[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

Beebze......... Not sure I'd call it a pet pv... Its more out of necessity. I am not a pro gvt regulation guy at all... Not even close.

If you move bees into or maintain any in California you are required to have your name on EVERY YARD. Not every box.... Thanks Frank...

Like I mentioned in my previous posts its a mutually beneficial to do so. If it slipped your mind to register a location for "spray" purposes the applicators will often contact you. If you don't and you get sprayed you my friend are legally sitting and reigning on the high kings seat of the kingdom of the SOL.....

Secondly there are many cases of squatting and placement on the wrong spot. If the bees are properly marked you will get a courtesy call. If not they might get sprayed or "removed" and your recourse is limited to the staring at the spot where your bees once flew.

As per the excuse that you can't mark your boxes for "paraffin reason" all I have to say I have heard a lot of lousy excuses but this one tops them all. There is a way to mark them. You might not want to take the time, effort and funds to do so but it is possible.

Once you get burned you will wish you had....

I stand corrected, Yes there is a way to mark boxes that are Paraffined. I don't want to take the time to do this. Thanks for the info on California's laws and regulations. This is nice to know. It just sounded like we would have to mark every box. Yards would be a lot easier.

What do you do if you decide to sell any equipment?

Bill of Sale. Buyer needs to have one specifying the brands. The reality is many outfits will have quite an assortment of brands by buying out other beekeepers over the years. The brands have to be left on unaltered.The bill of sale is your only protection.

As for spray damages, none is recoverable if the yard is not registered with the County Ag dept, and identified with the aforementioned sign or stencil. Stenciling each hive isn't required, but is a darn good idea.

JW Thanks for the stenciling tip. I've made some crude ones in the past, but that looks like it will work better.

There are places that will laser cut stencils out of plexiglass reasonably priced. .

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    There are places that will laser cut stencils out of plexiglass reasonably priced. .
    Or in my case you have the local machine shop laser out a nice thick aluminum on that hangs over 5 suppers at a shot . Tough, easier to clean up, will last for a long while as long as the forklift stays away. It only gets used a few days a year but works pretty sweet.

As per price ... Bring a big check. They are not cheap. Considering that since time savings, ease of use, and longevity are in order I am happy with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Or in my case you have the local machine shop laser out a nice thick aluminum on that hangs over 5 suppers at a shot . Tough, easier to clean up, will last for a long while as long as the forklift stays away. It only gets used a few days a year but works pretty sweet.

As per price ... Bring a big check. They are not cheap. Considering that since time savings, ease of use, and longevity are in order I am happy with what we have.
    Nice idea. I had mine made locally it is clear plastic ($40)and washes when I soak it in Gas for a few days. I also use spray on stain not paint so it works really well. paint at lowes is 99 cents a can so you can do that easily enough.

I do like the laser cut metal idea though.

Quality is better than cheap in the long run. But sometimes cheap will get you by till the cash flow improves(if you dont mind a bit of frustration).

Eastside: You need to clear some space in your PM box!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123