Thread: Narrow Frames

Default Narrow Frames

Does anybody sell 1.25" frames?

Default Re: Narrow Frames

You may wish to call Kelley. Reportedly they did offer 1.25" end bars, and may still do. They do not seem to appear in their online catalog.

One "reported" issue with those bars is that Kelley may be simply shaving off 1/8" on one side of the bar, rather than 1/16" off each side.

All of the above is just from other Beesource posts - I make my own end bars.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by justusflynns View Post
    Does anybody sell 1.25" frames?
    Last year for my brood champer frames I shaved 1/8 off one side of the frames to get 1-1/4 spacing. I had to orient the shaved side of all frames in the same direction, but it worked out well. I went foundationless on these frames, and was happy with the results.

I modified the center of the top-bar of the frames, removing a piece from each to allow egress for the bees, as the shaving reduced the space between frames to about 1/8 inch.

I've been thinking of reducing the width for my brood chamber. One thing that concerns me is rolling the queen. I guess the reduction in space is not that significant?

Also, think "girl" for your response please. How do you shave off the frame? I was thinking of sandpaper, but that may not be very precise. Or a chisel? 1/16 of an inch is quite precise.
    Zone 7B. 8fr meds. 5 hives. 4 years. Still a beginner.
    (hr south of LR)

Small block plane. Or table saw
    Last edited by My-smokepole; 02-19-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Didn't finish

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    I had to orient the shaved side of all frames in the same direction,
    If you shave 1/8" off "opposite sides" of the end bars you can line the frames up any way you like and it will always maintain 1 1/4" spacing between bars..
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminBee View Post
    One thing that concerns me is rolling the queen
    The risk of rolling the bees may actually be less since there will be fewer bees between the frames but you still want to go-slow...

Also, think "girl" for your response please. How do you shave off the frame? I was thinking of sandpaper, but that may not be very precise. Or a chisel? 1/16 of an inch is quite precise.
    A "block plane" will do the job. It will take some time to adjust the blade to where you want it. I have only used a table saw. If you had new, unassembled frames I would definitely recruit a friend or neighbor with a table saw to help with the project. I would suggest that you also thin down the top bars. I don't have a router, but I have two friends with woodworking equipment.

http://homedepot.com/p/Buck-Bros-6-1...7?N=5yc1vZc1zi
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

We have a plane and a table saw, so that's good. I'll check it out. Thanks!
    Zone 7B. 8fr meds. 5 hives. 4 years. Still a beginner.
    (hr south of LR)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    If you shave 1/8" off "opposite sides" of the end bars you can line the frames up any way you like and it will always maintain 1 1/4" spacing between bars..
    Brilliant! Such a simple solution, it's sort of counter intuitive so I had to draw it out on paper. Works like a charm.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost