Default What Happens Next?

I am in northeastern Vermont near the Canadian border. My first year with an overwintered hive. There are two deep brood boxes and one medium. I give it a quick rap every day when I get home and they are still buzzing. I know we are getting towards do-or-die time, literally. My fingers are crossed.

I am wondering what happens in the spring with the medium on top? Will there be brood in it? How do I discourage further brood? What about any leftover honey in it? I am almost certain it is golden rod, if it matters. Will they move it down or am I supposed to do something to "refresh" this medium? Do I take this honey? What if it is crystalized? Sorry, lots of questions but it has me thinking.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: What Happens Next?

I'm not a Yankee however
    I think after the thaw you can put a queen excluder below the med.
    Be sure the queen is also below when you add the QE
    The bees will finish the brood above the QE and then back fill with nector

Hopefully a local will chime in with more Help

God luck in the coming weeks
    This winter seems to be a trying one

>I am wondering what happens in the spring with the medium on top? Will there be brood in it?

Most likely.

>How do I discourage further brood?

Why? They will quickly fill that box, run out of room and start using the bottom box.

>What about any leftover honey in it?

I would leave it. They will quickly burn it up in the spring build up.

> I am almost certain it is golden rod, if it matters.

It means it's probably crystallized which, in my opinion, is irrelvant.

> Will they move it down or am I supposed to do something to "refresh" this medium?

Most likely they will burn it all up.

> Do I take this honey?

No.

> What if it is crystalized?

It probably is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am wondering what happens in the spring with the medium on top? Will there be brood in it?
    Most likely.

How do I discourage further brood?
    Why? They will quickly fill that box, run out of room and start using the bottom box."

Hi Michael - Sorry, I am still confused... First, they will probably exhaust the honey reserve in the medium? Then they will backfill it again with honey or brood, or both, and then move downwards? Don't I want just honey in the medium or are you saying to let them do as they see fit? Thanks!

>Hi Michael - Sorry, I am still confused... First, they will probably exhaust the honey reserve in the medium?

Yes, they probably will.

> Then they will backfill it again with honey or brood, or both, and then move downwards?

Yes.

> Don't I want just honey in the medium or are you saying to let them do as they see fit?

I can't say what you want. The bees will tend to fill the overhead space with nectar as it comes in and then cap it as honey as enough comes in that they aren't burning it up rearing brood. And the brood nest tends to get crowded down into the next box below as a result. If the queen needs more space to lay and both boxes are full of brood, I am not unhappy with that result. I've seen queens laying in three deeps...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

or you can keep overwintering your bees as Michael Palmer does, in that exact configuration.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    or you can keep overwintering your bees as Michael Palmer does, in that exact configuration.
    He's the one who recommended it to me and I will certainly target it for next year, too. I guess I was under the impression that a pair of deeps constituted the optimum brood area and anything above it should be reserved for honey. So, leaving the medium for the bees to use as they see fit is different is than I was expecting - but not something that I am opposed to do.
    Last edited by Beerz; 02-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.