Thread: Nutrabees

Default Nutrabees

Figured since our season has kicked off with an early bloom of Almonds I'd post some results of late swarm I hived on Labor day 2013. It was a small swarm, covered about 2.5 frames. We were in a complete pollen and nectar dearth since August so they got a frame feeder with 1:1 and 1/2lb of Beepro. They actually downed the patty pretty quick but kind of stalled out on the second offering, only eating about 1/3 of it. By Late October, they were between 3 and 4 frames of bees and I wanted them to keep growing, and lucky enough I live in Keith Jarret's neighborhood and was able to bum some Nutrabee off him. In mid November, I put on about a 3lb patty right over the middle of the cluster and gave them about 1 liter of 2:1. We had a pretty cold December but a very warm January with not much blooming in the neighborhood but you can see the bees did very well. I scraped off the Mann Lake stuff when I added the Nutrabee since they weren't touching it much, I did the same with a few of my nucs and I have to say I'm very impressed and happy with the results. I popped the hive open this afternoon, and it was a little on the cooler side so the bees stayed between the frames but I'd say they're at about 7 frames of bees and doing very well. Pretty good field force coming in as well with a lot of almond and mustard pollen.

Default Re: Nutrabees

Nice! I need to make arrangements to see Kieth and get another pallet. Three+ years running and I love it. Especially useful in dearths and droughts... or any time you want the queen to get in gear and make new bees.

We started putting patties on for 2014 on Dec 21 2013. Definitely getting more bees in the trees this year and splitting early.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Nutrabee sounds like it could be good stuff. Too bad it is not available to smaller apiaries like myself with just a dozen hives.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Shamless I know.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

They're not exploding yet, but not bad for a small swarm in September in a total dearth with just a little syrup to keep them going....

Must be all those short lived bees in there Jeff. lol
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

We had a pretty cold December but a very warm January with not much blooming in the neighborhood but you can see the bees did very well.
    These are my NATURAL-BEES

Taken yesterday. No flight since Oct, 2013. No added supplement. Sorry you have to raise bees in that barren place out west!

http://www.ibtimes.com/winter-weathe...rature-records

Chicago, Ill.: Much snowier than usual, colder than average

But really, it’s the Midwesterners who have the bragging rights to this season’s misery.

This season, Chicago has been hit with 67.9 inches of snow, a good 41.5 inches above normal. That already earns this winter the honor of the fifth-snowiest seen in the city since 1884. It’s also the snowiest winter since the 1978-1979 season, which set the all-time record of 89.7 inches. How will the rest of the season shake out? The fourth-place record, 68.4 inches, set in 1966-1967, isn’t too far off; but it’ll take a good-sized snowstorm to vault this winter past the third-place mark of 77.0 inches set in the 1969-1970 winter. (But, given how this winter’s gone so far, maybe that’s not too outrageous to expect.)

January 2014’s average temperature was a frigid 15.7 degrees F, 8.1 degrees below the normal of 23.8 F. During the month, the mercury dipped as low as -16 degrees F, not quite matching the 1985 January record of -27 F, also the all-time Chicago record low (a day where the wind chill also reached -60 degrees).
    Last edited by Barry; 02-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    Regards, Barry

The way it's going Barry, it might be worthwhile to buy a semi full of sub from Keith, fill it with snow when they off load it and ship it back here. We're supposed to get another storm in a week or so, I think if we get 2-3 more decent ones, NorCal can squeak by but it will still be tough. Good looking bees by the way, I have yet to figure out how to really pack hives like that. I'll get 10 frame deeps 4 boxes high with the bees filling all the boxes but not overflowing like pics posted recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I'll get 10 frame deeps 4 boxes high with the bees filling all the boxes but not overflowing like pics posted recently.

JRG13, I'm sure you have heard of Photoshop. The old fashioned version of this for bee guys is "smok-o-shop."

Before you take any pictures just crank up the smoker. Give them a hundred puffs from below till they start to boil. Give them time to climb out and the wind time to blow the evidence away and WHA-LA. There you have it. Even a 4 framer can look like a million bucks if you "treat" them right. To bad it doesn't work when shaking time comes....

Ha, only a fool would smoke their bees this time of year in the Midwest! Actually, I don't like to see a huge cluster in the hive this time of year. Can be a setup for disaster.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ha, only a fool would smoke their bees this time of year in the Midwest! Actually, I don't like to see a huge cluster in the hive this time of year. Can be a setup for disaster.

I opened the lid on one here yesterday that was 9 frames of bees, weren't up on the top bars yet so still have stores. I'm actually worried about that one with the cold coming in again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    JRG13, I'm sure you have heard of Photoshop. The old fashioned version of this for bee guys is "smok-o-shop."

Before you take any pictures just crank up the smoker. Give them a hundred puffs from below till they start to boil. Give them time to climb out and the wind time to blow the evidence away and WHA-LA. There you have it. Even a 4 framer can look like a million bucks if you "treat" them right. To bad it doesn't work when shaking time comes....