Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honey Glows Under Blacklight

While brainstorming ideas for an apiary name, I joked that I could call it "Sequoya Nuclear Honey", due to the fact that I'm only about 2 miles as the bee flies from the Sequoya nuclear power plant here in Chattanooga.

"Hey, anybody know if honey glows under blackight? That would be an awesome display, I could sell 'radioactive' glowing honey!"

I just so happened to have a big blacklight flashlight (I have a cat), so I just went, poured some honey into my hand, and turned it on.

Honey totally glows under blacklight. It glows Ghostbusters Slimer green.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Default Re: Honey Glows Under Blacklight

Not sure if that will be a very good selling idea. Might have the wrong effect.

Indeed, I wouldn't touch your honey with a 10 foot pole. I tend to be very fickle with these kinds of things...

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't necessarily think your honey is bad, but I wouldn't buy anything that the maker insinuates us radioactive... I'm the kind of person who, if you say that 96% of your product is natural, gets all worried about what the heck the other 4% is made of. I've never tried a blacklight on honey. If yours glows, there's a good chance most if not all honeys do as well. But being next to a nuclear power point ain't exactly a selling point as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 02-17-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Sooo, are you saying my plan to put a timber rattlesnake logo on my honey is not such a hot idea?

You could go whole hog and use the jolly roger instead....
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 02-17-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Edymnion:

Bees do see in the UV range of the spectrum, and yes, (some) pollen does glow under UV.

Perhaps you should call it "Pollen Glow" honey instead.

There's plenty of material that could glow in honey. However, wouldn't it be great if you could use the color under UV to sell varietal honeys?
    Last edited by WLC; 02-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Skull and crossbones is out too huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Sooo, are you saying my plan to put a timber rattlesnake logo on my honey is not such a hot idea?
    If you are serious, do some market testing at a farm market and see what you find. Have a jar w/ the rattlesnake label and one w/out and ask people which one they would be more apt to buy.

If you were being serious.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

JennySecondTryWeb.jpgWhen we bought the mountain place, I suggested we name it Rattlesnake Ridge. My wife objected that then nobody would want to visit. My response was, "And the problem is ...?"

I've named my private lab Rattlesnake Ridge Research, because Lockheed Martin trademarked "The Skunk Works." Keeps it private.

It would depend on the market. Have you seen how they market hot sauces? In that market, claiming radioactivity or glowing in the dark actually sells.

And who buys hot sauce? Men, I'm assuming.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Edymnion:

Bees do see in the UV range of the spectrum, and yes, (some) pollen does glow under UV.

Perhaps you should call it "Pollen Glow" honey instead.

There's plenty of material that could glow in honey. However, wouldn't it be great if you could use the color under UV to sell varietal honeys?
    Suddenly, glowing honey becomes appealing!

Funny how giving a different spin on the same product can really change the customer's reaction. On one hand, you suggest it is radioactive and unfit for eating, on the other, you can use the glow as a proof of authenticity and purity.

In the end, it all depends on your target market.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Several things glow under a black light. None of them are things I would associate with purity. Just sayin'...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    you suggest it is radioactive and unfit for eating,

In the end, it all depends on your target market.
    Do you think that calling honey radioactive would sell more honey? I don't. Unless you wanted to sell more of the honey next to it on the shelf.

Who would the target market be? Novelty buyers?

I bought 'Killer Bee' honey at a store. In fact, I think I need another jar.

In the past, I have looked at honey under both long and short wave UV light.

However, I was tracking down inhibitors.

I'm not sure folks would like honey that glows the same color as automotive fluids though.

Ah come on, I could see about selling it through the Troma website. They might even let me put the Toxic Avenger on the label! :P

(It's funny that you mentioned Troma. They were in the 'hood for the longest time. My brother new em.)

I just wanted to mention that plant polyphenols could also account for the fluorescence of honey.

Also been thinking about a Halloween themed name (clearly I'm not going for mass market appeal here, or I'd just do something generic like "Queen's Choice"). I could bottle some up under blacklights and call it "Sweet Treat Ectoplasm" or something like that.

I have always figures you want only positive associations with your product, but the advertising industry seems to think otherwise and it seems to work for some people to have something outrageous instead. Some people advertise it as "bee barf"... I don't see that as appealing...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There's a long tradition of naming restaurants using associations that some would find off-putting. I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember Ptomaine Tommy's, an LA chili parlor.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Not quite as bad was "the ground cow"...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast