Default problem with squirrels?

So I was out last night (about 10:00 and there's about 15" of snow on the ground) looking at one of my hives I have at home and saw the front of the hive was cleared away a bit and there were foot prints all over on the snow, and the box near the entrance was chewed up. It was a squirrel based upon the foot prints and the poo I found. The bees are still inside and look good, but what of a squirrel? Has anyone else had a problem with squirrels messing with their hives? Do you all know of any solution to this?

Default Re: problem with squirrels?

Be sure its not a skunk FIRST!

would skunks be out this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    would skunks be out this time of year?
    Yes.
    Skunks do not hibernate in winter; they do sleep more but will come out of the den to forage for food when they are not snowed in.

Squirrels crack nuts on top of my hives. They never try to get in them.

A Skunk on the other hand will sit at the entrance and pick bees off as long as he can. make a spike board (IF SAFE ie no kids running in the yard) and place it in front of the hive. My favorite method is to sit in the window with a .22 and wait!!!!!

I've had squirrels damage equipment in storage, but never live hives. They chewed the top bars to splinters.

Red Squirrels

well thanks guys. I had thought squirrels just because I've been seeing them so frequently near the hives because I have a bird feeder about 15 feet away. Skunks honestly didn't even come to mind because we have probably 15-18" of snow on the ground. I figured they'd be "snowed in". But I think you all may be right. I did make up a quick board tonight using carpet tacks. This should take care of the problem. Judging from what can be seen inside the entrance the bees are fine inside. The skunk may have gotten a few bees, but not too many. It's too cold for them to break cluster and there was all that snow snug in and around them so the skunk couldn't get in too well I'd immagine.