Thread: Hello from Iowa

Default Hello from Iowa

First time poster here. I imagine my wife will be joining soon. She is the one in the family that will be the beekeeper. I will be watching her through binoculars to make sure everything is going ok. I've got an atv I can rescue her with if the bees get a bad attitude. I do, however, want to learn as much as I can so that maybe eventually I can ease into it and help with the chores associated with beekeeping. She has completed her long list of all the equipment and supplies she thinks she needs for two hives. We have taken a beginning and advanced course to introduce us to beekeeping so basically, we are greenhorns. We have a lot of prairie flowers and will be planting 9 fruit trees in our large country garden and it is our intention to keep the bees on our property rather than to fly off and gather pollen and nectar from large monoculture crops.

Default Re: Hello from Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie55 View Post
    We have a lot of prairie flowers and will be planting 9 fruit trees in our large country garden and it is our intention to keep the bees on our property rather than to fly off and gather pollen and nectar from large monoculture crops.

Welcome to the forums.

What corner of the state?

Unless you own about 8,000 acres your bees will be flying to other sources no matter what you plant.

They won't bother the corn unless there is absolutely no other pollen available.

They might gather nectar from some varieties of soybeans if the temperature is just right. Some states get a big chunk of their production from soybeans. Makes a good honey.

I assume your wife will have at least a veil and possibly a jacket for protection.

The africanized bees don't survive the winters up here, and even they aren't really 'killer' bees.

Just don't mess with them on cloudy rainy days. Believe me, you really don't want to.
    That's when it gets hard to see thru the veil and they will find places that you thought they never could.

Hope there is some timber nearby.

One of the best trees to plant is the pussy willow. Huge amount of early pollen exactly when the bees are building back up after winter.

Goodluck and have fun.

P.S. If your'e nearby I can be available and I know of a couple clubs.
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

Welcome 55!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I think it is so cool that you are so supportive! Will she be getting bees this year, or waiting till next year? If this year, set up your yard and hives now.
    Welcome!

Welcome

Welcome