Default Pollinator Broker

Have anyone had any dealing with a broker named Leo. We were contacted by him and since we are not with our bees we need to know if he can be trusted. We have weak hives and have not been able to place them until he contacted us. We are up in the Turlock area.

Default Re: Pollinator Broker

Don't know him. But I have been getting calls non stop from folks looking for bees. I had several who wanted to pay 130.00 each. I told them I did not anyone at this late stage who would do it for less than 195.00. I really don't know what is happening out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nitarae View Post
    Have anyone had any dealing with a broker named Leo. We were contacted by him and since we are not with our bees we need to know if he can be trusted. We have weak hives and have not been able to place them until he contacted us. We are up in the Turlock area.
    Seems a little late to be checking the size of the hose after you hear the blood flowing when donating your own blood, sweat, and tears.

How about filling us in on a big handful of details.

How did he "find" you?
    What did you get offered?
    How bad were the bees?
    What does your contract say?
    Did you get one?
    Did you put them in?
    How many hives?
    What is his DBA name?
    Have you considered paying someone ( not myself BTW) to check on them?
    Do you even know where they are at?

We haven't given him the bees yet that is why we are checking to see if anyone knows him. We took our bees to an almond broker who wanted them but they were too weak and he wouldn't take them. So they are still sitting in CA. So right from the start we had no contract, but he begged us to bring them to him even when we said they were on the weak side, but that is neither here nor there the point is we were hopping to see if someone wanted them for half the price. We call a guy on craigslist that was trying to rent his bees and it turned out to be this Leo who said he could place ours. He wants to look at them first which I understand but we are not there with the bees and am afraid to go any farther with this since we don't know him. He said he is "Bee Way Honey" from Oregon and there is a web page with that name. He says he will give us half down. So right now we know where the bees are but don't have the money to bring them home.

Couple of notes. Almonds are on a roll. Petals falling on some of ours. Its getting late....

When the bee supply seems to be long why does he want your "junk?" Is the half $80+-?

How any frames are these "bad" ones?

Who is your deal with? Bee Way inc or with Leonid Zaytsev?

Ask him if he is willing to tell you what the grower is going to be paying for your bees?

The same gentleman called me about three days ago. He has a 503 area code if this is the same individual. Talks with an accent. Called me relentlessly wanting about 150 colonies at $125-135 each. He was very insistent on seeing our bees. Told him I would get back with him. Never did.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    The same gentleman called me about three days ago. He has a 503 area code if this is the same individual. Talks with an accent. Called me relentlessly wanting about 150 colonies at $125-135 each. He was very insistent on seeing our bees. Told him I would get back with him. Never did.
    If I had 4-6 framers at this point and he had $130 cash in your yard upon inspection I'd jump. Put a camera up if he says no.... If its one of those jobs where "you'll get paid if the grower likes them once they are in" then I would...lets say...forget it. I have heard to many stories about the guys who where born under the flag with the ~ 700–635 nm wavelength spectrum pulling a slick trick or two in these manners. Can't say I have heard this about this guy but it is sadly more prevalent than on would like to see. My guess is he is short on a $160 contract and is hoping to make 25% off of your bees even this late in the game. Not so sure he is in the drivers seat with petals starting to fall already.

That's all I know about that.
    Last edited by Flyer Jim; 02-17-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Yes probably the same gentleman does have an accent! What was your opinion of him when you talked with him?

I think matt1954 did the right thing. But they are your bees.
    Last edited by Flyer Jim; 02-17-2014 at 03:46 PM.

I get calls all the time I just smile and so no thanks
    Don

If it were me, I think I'd just tell the guy to buy my nucs, if he needs more colonies for pollination... I can't see myself handing over my hives to anyone else.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Leonid ZAYTSEV of Bee Way Honey wants you to see his expensive car.
    https://www.facebook.com/lzaytsev

If he is short on hives, he should pay, looks like he has earned the profit to do so.

Zaytsev's business address shows up on google without difficulty.
    The sat image shows a property with 5 flatbeds and 4 lowboy trailers visible, feed totes and substantial infrastructure.
    If your contract goes bad, a simple mechanics lien will give you some protection. There are assets available in the event of business dispute.
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 02-23-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks everyone for your posts but it looks like Leo couldn't use our bees so the dilemma was resolved! Hope I don't ever get in that situation again!

If I had duds I would have taken the offer. Leo is a great business man and taking up your duds would have been a huge favor.

BTW He is a good example of someone who started off from scratch and worked his way up.