Default extractor question

I have an 18 frame motorized extractor which I am going to use for spring honey harvest in April. Right now I have 3-6 supers full I am going to extract because I am moving those hives to my country yard and want them light. Orange blossom is just beginning and will be in full bloom by the end of the month at my country yard.
    I also have my 2 frame hand crank extractor.

If I were to extract in the 18 framer, and when I'm done get out as much honey as possible and then cover well, is it a bad idea to leave it like that til my next extraction in 8 weeks? Or do I need to clean thoroughly--in which case I would use my 2 framer. I got the 18 framer after fall harvest, have not used it yet.
    Thanks.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: extractor question

I think it needs to be cleaned thoroughly! That being said, why is that such a problem? What is your planed method for cleaning the extractor and how long do you think it'll take? Are you talking about disassembly or what???

Honey has been used as a preservative thruout recorded history. The question is, can you keep mice out of it and wrap it well enough to keep out dirt and bugs. I would rinse it out prior to use but I just don't think it is a a big deal. People who pressure wash need new bearings often.

The extractor will remain year round in my dining area, right off the kitchen, it's now covered with a pretty, large wrap of cloth so it isn't an eyesore. I have a patio door into the dining/extracting area. I bring supers to the patio deck, use a reverse shop vac to blow out any remaining bees, then bring in supers. There are no bugs in my house other than the occasional wolf spider. Yuck! I use insecticide around the outside edging of my house.

I can probably get it outside myself for cleaning and bring the hose around back there. I'm not going to pressure wash--still pondering the whole cleaning method I will use. But once outside, there will be bees galore. I think that's the biggest reason I'd like to wait and do it only one time this spring. My 2 framer, I have a designated indoor wash area for it and it is easy to carry around. But so much longer to extract!

I suppose I could wash it indoors, using a 5 gal bucket at the honey gate. Maybe get a spray hose long enough from my sink to the extractor, or move it over to the sink with the bucket and spray hose. I hadn't thought of that til now.

Still, knowing it's an antibacterial I wondered if anyone else lets it sit for 2 months, as long as I know it's staying clean inside. I can easily monitor it.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Then I doubt you need to wash it and remove that wonderful smell that extractors carry after use!

Extracting open air near beehives would be a nightmare. I have seen videos from eastern Europe where people extracting outside use screen tents.

If no vermin get in your extractor, It would be good to go after a light rinse. Try leaving it and decide before next use. I have never seen one smell off unless someone rinsed it and left standing water in the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post

I suppose I could wash it indoors, using a 5 gal bucket at the honey gate. Maybe get a spray hose long enough from my sink to the extractor, or move it over to the sink with the bucket and spray hose. I hadn't thought of that til now.
    I have the Maxant 3100P (6/9 frame), and extract in my kitchen....when done I put it near the sink and use the kitchen sink spray hose with hot water to rinse it out. I drain it into 5 gallon buckets through the honey gate, which I carry outside to dump, to avoid introducing wax into my internal pipes.
    Works like a CHARM!