Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: open drum feeding

[QUOTE=Ian;1061571 But as Allen suggested, providing three or four totes per yard provides lots of access, thats probably the key.[/QUOTE]

We provide a tote for every 20 hives or so. The greater surface area the better for the bees. As surface area increases so does the likely hood of bees fighting. Keep in mind that you do not have to fill the tote to the brim when they are heavy. You can put 3 totes out filling each only by about a third, this way the bees have access to a lot of surface area. It is a bit of a pain to cart the extra totes around but... you gotta do what you gotta do.

I can see where this would be especially useful to a guy running singles. It is important to feed them as soon as the last honey supers are pulled to prevent starvation. Like Ian said a guy following with totes and syrup and all is well again for the bees.

Jean-Marc

Think I have it figured out now. I'm going to set out a couple of totes per yard this spring as I usual but now I'm going to set a couple totes out in the fall also as we are pulling the last supers. I'll run a guy around every other day til we get pails on. This will buy time and eliminate half the stress off my September stress load! lol I have always been afraid of open feeding in the fall with so many bees in these hives late in the year.

Ill be making a round with the pails with medication as I dont know how you would be able to measure the correct amount of Fumagillin while open feeding.

Any thoughts?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, correct me if I am wrong but doesnt sunlight rapidly degrade Fumagillin? I think it would be impossible effectively treat using open feeding method.

I have tried open feeding for the first time last year with drums because I flat run out of in hive feeders. I will probably use drums again this coming season. I definitely will use the cracked lid method. Very useful thread. Thanks for all that contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Ian, correct me if I am wrong but doesnt sunlight rapidly degrade Fumagillin? I think it would be impossible effectively treat using open feeding method.
    if you use the totes they are talking about, use the dark colored ones, and cut the wholes to let the bees in under the handles, the sun shouldn't be able to effect the fumadil, at least that's my theory.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I would be hesitant to feed bees every other day in fall. Seems to me this would be mimicking a flow and potentially stimulate the bees to brood without adequate resources. My experience has been that a hive having lots of brood in the beginning of September will normally winter well. With single brood chambers, I want the space where the early September brood was to be available for feed and not new brood.

I normally feed 3 times in fall. The first feeding is done right after the supers are removed. It doesn’t take long for a single brood to starve in fall. In a normal year this is the first or second week of September. Then I try to leave about a week to a week and half between the feedings, depending upon the weather. The first 2 feedings are usually about 1.5 imp gallons. The third feeding size depends upon the size of the hives, weight of the hives, fall flow etc. By staggering the feedings, the ones with later brood have a chance to store syrup as well. I usually end up feeding between 3.5 and 4 imp gallons, if I don’t have a fall alfalfa flow.

My winter survival rates are much better with early feeding than late feeding. Bees with little feed are desperate bees in my opinion. They wear themselves out searching for feed. Small hives aren’t nearly as likely to get robbed out in yards that are fed early.

These are the feeders I use. I don't think sunlight could degrade the Fumagillin under the lid and straw. Getting the correct dose per hive would be a challenge, though I've never understood why hives of all sizes should get an equal dose. For that matter, I'm not certain Fumagillin improves winter survival at all after comparing survival rates for treated and nontreated hives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dgl1948
    How long does it take to empty six 5 gal pails?

I do not like or condone open barrell feeding, but have done it for the last 4-5 years.In my mind anytime you have robbing bees you are not treating them right,That being said I feel the fast time element,outweighs the negative effects.

I too use the 5 gallon bucket for open feeding and I find it works great for me.
    Last edited by dadandsonsbees; 02-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Depends on the yard. My nuc yard will empty a couple of buckets a week... my other yards will empty them in a couple of days. I mix in the yard and put them out a couple of times, then start checking hive weights.

Me three, I also use Cam's method of inverted 5 gallon bucket feeders on pallets.
    Turn them over and walk away.
    Just to easy and hardly any dead bees.

Last fall had a yard of about 500 hives empty out 1250L in 3-4 hours. That's more or less 3/4 of a gallon. The way I figure it those bees were awfully thirsty It is good to stagger the feedings in the fall. As brood hatches then bees are fed, the cells are full of syrup. Some hives are broody longer than others. By staggering the feedings it allows those with late hatches to have an opportunity to fills those cells.

As far as medicating , just follow the recommended dosages. Light does damage fumigillin but under the straw in a dark space, not to much UV. Make sure your tanks are dark so that sunlight does not penetrate.

Jean-Marc

I think Ill leave administration of the medication mix to be done in the pail., Easier to measure it that way.
    Im going to start with open feeding then toss them all a pail as soon as I get caught up pulling boxes

I dont know about you guys but I like to pound the feed into them in the fall, that way they will have something to sit on in the spring.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I like getting the hives full in fall but not pounded full if I can help it. However, I often end up pounding them full in the end.

I like to be able to feed them every other day in spring for the first couple on weeks to give the bees a next ring of syrup around the brood. All of my bees are in my home yard for the first couple of weeks so feeding is very easy. If I fed them too much in fall then I have to be much more careful not to plug them full.

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    dgl1948

I do not like or condone open barrell feeding, but have done it for the last 4-5 years.In my mind anytime you have robbing bees you are not treating them right,That being said I feel the fast time element,outweighs the negative effects.
    That is a tough question to answer. Strong yards will go through a pail a day if there is nothing else for them. The last couple of falls have been frost free for quite some time so ours get a lot of late flowers and do not use nearly as much. We have found that if you can keep them busy at the feeders they do not tend to rob nearly as much. With pails we also find that there is not as much waste feed as with barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I use 5 gallon buckets. I see very little fighting and few dead bees. Very little waste either. I put 6 of these on a pallet and bees have lots of access.
    Attachment 9254
    Is there a link describing hole size placement ect.. somewhere or can someone describe with a little more detail? Thanks

These should give you a good idea. I drill my holes very close together to get lots of syrup in the "trough". If not they drink it dry and fight over the holes.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...bucket+feeding

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...bucket+feeding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12