Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Oxalic Aicd - No longer a "pesticide."

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Is two grams enough for a three medium brood chamber .
    Yes..
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    It would not surprise me to discover there might be a "business interest" working with the EPA on this.

Something along the lines of .... A new "approved" product with pre-measured doses of OA, packaged and marketed specifically for the beekeeping industry.
    A bit like this...http://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?ro...roduct_id=5060

There are a few registered oxalic trickle products in Europe, but many just mix their own of course.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Once approved (if approved) how could anyone tell the difference between using "off label Savogran" or the "approved pre-measured doses?" No difference in product.
    The most obvious would be the "container" found in the field when administering the product.

If the new business were to get serious about it, there are rare mineral security markers that could be added to the "new" product. A quick test of the residue would determine without question if it was the "approved" product, or simply wood bleach OA.
    To everything there is a season....

If the new business were to get serious about it, there are rare mineral security markers that could be added to the "new" product. A quick test of the residue would determine without question if it was the "approved" product, or simply wood bleach OA.
    So, ya take a little of the "new" blend it in with the old cheaper stuff ....

Oh yeah, and you discard the old container......

Where there is a will there is a way....

Deleted
    Last edited by jfb58; 02-16-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Post I was responding to disappeared
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    So, ya take a little of the "new" blend it in with the old cheaper stuff ....

Oh yeah, and you discard the old container......

Where there is a will there is a way....
    So now because you sell the vaporizer your advice to beeks Especially new beeks is to go ahead and break the law. By the way attitudes like that are why mites developed resistance in FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!! UNETHICAL practices by the beekeeper.

WHO IS MODERATING THIS!!!!!!!

Inhale, take a deep breath. Your stress is off the charts. Most people here will have a calm conversation about different views.

Apologize to you, was not my intent to hook you so badly. Confess you hooked me a bit,I know better.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I am calm now, It pains me to see everything we have been fighting against since Varroa showed up on the scene, everything we know to be inherently wrong, spouted out as advice to new upcoming beekeepers all over the world. I was utterly floored by the comment. It would be good business to remove the messages and cease the shameful sideways attempts at furthering business profits. That's all I really care to comment on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Thacker View Post
    By the way attitudes like that are why mites developed resistance in FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!
    If you are talking about mites developing resistance to miticides it was because mites are very adaptive not because people used off label pesticides.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If you are talking about mites developing resistance to miticides it was because mites are very adaptive not because people used off label pesticides.
    Abusive use of the same pesticide, over and over, is bound to create resistance.

Part of the problem, though, is that these pesticides are usually registered one at a time, and when the previous one stops being effective.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Ha Ha I can see SNL getting his bank accounts ready now, for the influx of money once OA is legalised!

There would also be an opportunity, to source medical grade OA to sell to people who are concerned about purity.

Me, I think the government should stay out of dictating what brand of OA can be used, that will do nothing but add cost to the beekeeping industry. The potential for contaminating a hive from a wood bleach application is tiny, it's not like bees never get dirty when they go out.

I believe my own country has a good model. Treating bees with OA is legal, and you can use any old hardware store bought OA you want. There are some beekeepers though who are concerned with purity and there is no law against them using some highly refined expensive stuff.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Normal use of the same pesticide is bound to create resistance too. Abuse does not have to exist. Even if sometimes it happens. Checkmite was not developed because Apistan stopped working. It was an alternative. Miticure, an Apistan based strip, was developed from a cattle mite ear tag. But the company discontinued making it for beekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Normal use of the same pesticide is bound to create resistance too. Abuse does not have to exist. Even if sometimes it happens. Checkmite was not developed because Apistan stopped working. It was an alternative. Miticure, an Apistan based strip, was developed from a cattle mite ear tag. But the company discontinued making it for beekeepers.
    Systematic use of the same pesticide is, in my eyes, an abusive use of it.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Hasn't OA been used to treat mites in other countries for over 20 years now? Maybe longer?

I would think that if resistance to OA was to occur it would have happened by now, don't you think?

Hasn't OA been used to treat mites in other countries for over 20 years now? Maybe longer?

I would think that if resistance to OA was to occur it would have happened by now, don't you think?
    That's fallacious logic. Resistance doesn't always come overnight.

Think of Roundup. Glyphosate was discovered as a herbicide in 1970, but the first instance of resistant weeds came in 1996, 26 years later.

I have heard multiple experts state, however, that it is harder for lifeforms to become resistance to pesticides that work through pH, like OA does. Note, though, harder. Not impossible.

I think OA is a wonderful product. But I also think that using OA multiple times per year, and never using anything else, would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    I think OA is a wonderful product. But I also think that using OA multiple times per year, and never using anything else, would be a mistake.
    I can appreciate your opinion. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Systematic use of the same pesticide is, in my eyes, an abusive use of it.
    If doing so leads to resistance, I guess so. I guess I just found your words harshly critical. Maybe I was reading between the lines something not there.

If the EPA is working on this, it will be in print somewhere....Where can we read about this?

If we know the EPA tack on this issue, we can write our representatives to urge their support. If ever a fast track for approval was indicated, it should be considered for OA vaporization.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Lburou - Good question. I did some googling, and found no mention of EPA removing oxalic acid from pesticide status. Usually, when EPA does something, they make a public comment about it. Makes me wonder if there was possibly some form of misunderstanding by one or more people at that Maryland State Beekeeper Meeting . . . ?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Lburou - Go Makes me wonder if there was possibly some form of misunderstanding by one or more people at that Maryland State Beekeeper Meeting . . . ?
    No misunderstanding.... Straight from Meredith F. Laws, Chief, Insecticide-Rodenticide Branch. Office of Pesticide Programs....