Thread: Extracting

Default Extracting

When extracting with a 6 frame extractor with the gate valve open will honey run through a 600 micron filter fast enough to keep up to the honey coming out or is there to much wax particles and debris making a double sieve a better option . The stainless double sieve's are pricey and I have the 600 micron bucket filter . I imagine the temp. might have alot to do with it .

Default Re: Extracting

Not for long.
    Run it through a couple layers of pantyhose first. That will catch a lot.
    You can use lace top single hose for more sensual honey.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Can I get more money for sensual honey !!! So out of the extractor and through the pantyhose and in to the bucket then strain through the 600 micron . Seems like pantyhose is pretty fine also but maybe easier to clean by discarding when all blocked up .I never noticed before but the double sieve from dadant is 1000 micron single and 500 double , seems like the single would get alot of the course stuff out and let the honey pass through and keep up with the extractor .

I run my honey through a double sieve and it fills up with wax and junk pretty fast. I have two of the sieves and I just switch them out and clean one while the other is in use.

with a six frame extractor you should be ok, as long as your honey is warm. I run a 20 frame extractor with a 200 micron and have not had a problem. Just make sure it warm.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    When extracting with a 6 frame extractor with the gate valve open will honey run through a 600 micron filter fast enough to keep up to the honey coming out or is there to much wax particles and debris making a double sieve a better option . The stainless double sieve's are pricey and I have the 600 micron bucket filter . I imagine the temp. might have alot to do with it .
    Preferably, you'll want a couple to rotate...but it'll work just fine. I extracted, from my Maxant 3100P straight into a 5 gallon bucket with a 600 micron pale strainer from Kelley Bees that was part of the extraction kit i had bought. After every couple of cycles, it had to be rinsed because of the wax particle buildup. As part of the kit there was also a 200 micron strainer, which was WAY, WAY, too fine...the honey basically wouldn't even go through it. Since then I've gotten a couple more 600 filters so I'll be able to rotate them.

I've "heard" the problem with running it through multiple layers is that it tends to introduce more air "bubbles" into the honey, but have never tried it.

Regardless, once through the 600 worked fine and gave me results that I was quite pleased with....
    Good Luck!

With the strainers I have no bubble issue.

I use a 600 on a bucket under the valve of a 20 frame with no problem. I usually run the honey through a 400 when I put it in buckets with valve but really don't have to.

I prefer to run everything direct from the extractor into storage containers, let it set while wax and air rise. I filter as a separate operation so it does not slow down extraction.

Great, Sounds like I can get away with what I have on hand except maybe another 600 bucket filter .

No, it will work for a little while but it will quickly start to overflow. I threw away my 600 filter. The easiest way I have found is to just use one of those paint strainer bags in a five gallon bucket once the bucket is full just pull out the bag and move it over to a new bucket. You can normally do two buckets before you have to clean the filter bag or put in a new one.

Will the honey clear on its own with out filtering if you let it sit long enough in warmed bottling tank?

I used to try to filter in a sieve it as it came out. Now I run it straight into a bucket and dump that bucket (after swapping for another of course) into a double bucket strainer. I usually have two or three double bucket strainers going, a couple of bucket holders for the one being dumped in and one under the extractor in order to keep up.

When I used a double sieve over a bucket it was constantly an issue with it getting clogged and falling behind.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    When I used a double sieve over a bucket it was constantly an issue with it getting clogged and falling behind.
    True, IF you've only ONE. Have another one on hand to swap out when the one in use gets clogged and you'll save yourself some lifting and dumping into other buckets.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Rick yes, it will normally clear up once it sits for a little while. It will clear faster if it is warm.