Thread: Incoming Pollen

Default Incoming Pollen

Quick question for everyone who cares to respond and thanks in advance

I am in Northwest NC and we just experienced 9 inches of snow on Wednesday night and today it was 55, my girls were hauling in a light tan to brown mustard colored pollen, now it is certain that we aren't having any type of bloom. Any ideas what form of pollen this would be?

Default Re: Incoming Pollen

poppy1 you could have Early crocus flowers. That could be one source. Another could be a daffodil. I believe these two type normally start at the tail end of Feb and beginning of March there in NC.

Cool Re: Incoming Pollen

Get your binoculars out and check the tops of the elm and maple trees,they should be in bloom.

American elm is not deterred by a late freeze. Starts in late Jan. here. Dirty white pollen. Maples get all the press because their blooms are more conspicuous.
    Walt

That may very well be what I see my bees bringing in. is the pollen dirty white as in a yellowish or a greyish teng to it? What I see on my bees could almost be mistaken for sawdust.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Sounds like a maple species to me.

http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/piedmont.php

Bees harvest skunk cabbage in February in my area (NJ)

Does beige help? Pale brown, light brownish-gray per my World Book dic. The elm precedes the maples.
    Walt

We have a lot of maples in this area but Elm coming first seem more in accordance with what I have seen in the past. It seems to me Elm is well on it's way while maples are just starting to get leaves going. I will know far more here in about 3 weeks. if we are the 60 days ahead of average as some sources are saying I will be seeing the elms in full seed by mid March. In that case I may have swarming by the end of March. Really hard for me to predict because I do not really know how length of day and night time lows effects the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    We have a lot of maples in this area but Elm coming first seem more in accordance with what I have seen in the past. It seems to me Elm is well on it's way while maples are just starting to get leaves going. I will know far more here in about 3 weeks. if we are the 60 days ahead of average as some sources are saying I will be seeing the elms in full seed by mid March. In that case I may have swarming by the end of March. Really hard for me to predict because I do not really know how length of day and night time lows effects the whole thing.
    Both elms and early maples bloom before the leaves come out. By the time most folks see the red at the tips of the maple branches the seed wings are getting large and turning red.

Hmm. not sure I have never paid attention to what an elm blossom looks like. the neighbors Elm has a bunch of little balls of something on the limbs. I tried searching Elm Blossom but only come up with pictures of what looks like clusters of seeds. Also a couple of pictures that look something like tiny flower blossoms but they are on trees in full leaf. I saw one of some type of hybrid that looks a lot like what I am seeing. Now just because a blossom has not opened here in my yard does not mean they have not opened a mile south of here at a lower elevation. So bloom times can get real tricky around here.