Cool Hello from Laredo!!

Hello out there from south texas,

I am from Laredo,TX and going to try my hand at beekeeping, after wanting to for many years and reading and researching. I am trying out top bar hives, I like the frugalness of it, and although research is good its nice to get the thoughts and opinions of actual beekeepers, experience counts! So, at the moment, my hive has been built with thy own hands and I am in the midst of trying to aquire the bees, no luck in finding any beekeepers in Laredo, I may have to form a club down here too, hmmm... Very glad to have joined the bee source forum community, great threads, lots of know how and hopefully alot of help for a newbie like myself. You will be hearing from me in the forums, yall have a great one. by the way we are starting to get blooms down here and I already see the bees hard at work on the rosemary....

Default Re: Hello from Laredo!!

And I have just joined the forum - stumbled upon it looking for answers to chalk-brood. I have been keeping bees for over 50 years, i.e. since I was 16. I live in Southern Queensland, north of Texas (a town on the NSW/Qld border). Am presently working about 50 hives, raising my own queens and am still taking my best ever honey crop off this season.

Eucalypts are our main source of honey with "Narrow leafed Ironbark" being plentiful in the area along with numerous other eucalypts. Although we are experiencing an extremely dry summer the trees are yielding well. However, the ground flora is suffering because of the lack of rain.

Chalk-brood is quite severe in a couple of hives I have just re-queened with golden Italians purchased from a reputable queen bee breeder. So I have to suspect the problem lies in the queens. I have been told ripe bananas placed on the top bars will eliminate chalk-brood. So I am going to try this. Also interested in using cinnamon as mentioned in a couple of posts.

John from Warwick in Queensland

Ah, one of my FAVORITE songs! Welcome to BeeSource! I've been here since October and have learned a TON! Lots of fun and interesting stuff.

Welcome!

Welcome 662!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

thanks everyone!

welcome

I spent a year there in the 60s. GE operated a high power radar out in the country - tracking sattelites on orbit. The data was used to update orbits for all the junk up there.

The limited variety of vegetation would be rough on honeybees.
    Good luck,
    Walt Wright

Cool Re: Hello from Laredo!!

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    I spent a year there in the 60s. GE operated a high power radar out in the country - tracking sattelites on orbit. The data was used to update orbits for all the junk up there.

The limited variety of vegetation would be rough on honeybees.
    Good luck,
    Walt Wright
    Hi there wcubed,

Well alot of neighborhoods with big gardens all over the place now, plus we have alot of honey mezquite that will be coming into bloom soon, so I think they might do ok. We have alot of citrus trees planted in my own neighborhood, they get swarmed some years with bees, Im looking to keep them to help out and to pollinate

Welcome!

My son lives in Laredo and works for Homeland Security. I spoke with a large rancher (near Laredo) a few months ago about his feral bees. He has plenty of them. So, bees do well enough there. It rarely freezes, so you should have a long season, that means you will need to solve the mite population issue associated with long brooding seasons -start with treatment free queens and bees, that will help you a lot.

In your location, I'd read up on Joseph Clemens' posts, (on beesource), about recognizing Africanized Honey Bees, in case a swarm takes over one of your hives. I mention this because I've experienced this take over here near DFW. I just killed the queens and brood and provided a queen of known ancestry.

I haven't noticed many honeybees as I walk around my son's neighborhood in Laredo but there is a lot of blooming going on.

Best of luck to you.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Hi Lee,

thanks for the welcome, and for the info on AFB's, I have heard alot from the people around in other cities that keep bees. Ill keep an eye out for them. This weekend Im dropping off my mini nuc top bar with an Amish man who is going to stock it up for me. So wish me luck in my adventure in beekeeping. There are alot of blooms, you are right. The honey mesquite is starting as well. The bees are around Lee, but Im sure we can get some more around, unfortunately down this way, when swarms start out the people here call the city since there is no beekeeper and they kill all the swarms, sad really, so hopefully if all goes well with me and my bees I will put my number up for my city and surrounding area to capture swarms, maybe start hives on some ranch land if they allow it.