Default Need a projector to do Powerpoint

Our new beekeeping club had its first meeting, and it looks like it's going to take off. I would like to get a portable projector to connect to my laptop to give Powerpoint presentations. I really don't know much about these. Would one like this be good to use in a darkened room, and project an image big enough to see from 15 feet away?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-Hom...item2a35f346e7

I am really on a shoestring budget, so I don't want to spend a lot. My other alternative is an overhead projector, but one connected to my laptop would be so much handier.
    Hobbyist beekeeper since 2002

Default Re: Need a projector to do Powerpoint

A projector can work for what you want to do, but take a second look at the item you linked. "Native Resolution: 320x240". I don't think you will be pleased with that.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Ask the folks where you're hosting your meetings if they can provide a projector.

I already asked, they don't have a projector.

You get what you pay for. The bulbs for most projectors cost 3x that. I bought a projector for my home theater for less then 1/2 of what they were going for at the time off of Craigslist. The prices have come down too since then. I paid $400 for used, you are probably going to pay at least $300 for something that will do the job. It will probably have some time on it, which may mean that you will need to maybe replace the bulb soon. So find out how much it was used. I don't remember the life span of a bulb, but it seems like it was just a few hundred hours. So we just use it for movies.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

it may work fine but I tend to be leary of electronics that have no brand name. Not even a generic brand name. The resolution is odd and if it does break good luck finding a new bulb for it. ( then again at that price throw it away if it breaks)

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-Projector-.../dp/B00EY24CCC

some reviews here also more of a write up

•Resolution: 320 * 240; Contrast: 300:1
    •Projection Lens: Manual Focus; Angle ratio: electronic zoom
    •LED lamp life of 20,000 hours; Brightness: 40 lumens
    •Input: AV/USB/SD Card (SD not included in package)
    •Usually we (BAIKLOV COMPANY) send your order within 1-2 days.Ship from china via Safe ePacket Registered Airmail with tracking number, it takes 7~12 work days! Good Service and no fee 1 Year Warranty(not including Shipping cost ) is our company policy.Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included. Money refundale and send back to us if you don't want it. We sell,We care!Buy With Confidence!
    ships from china
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like if I want a projector I'll have to spend around $300. I may consider an overhead projector, but they can't show videos and you have the ongoing cost of printing transparencies. Can anyone suggest a good computer projector?