Default Weasel in the henhouse.

Blood thirsty Weasel has discovered my laying hens. He's killed two so far, yesterday and today and I wouldn't really mind except he doesn't eat them, he just drinks their blood through bites in their neck. I'm sure it's a Weasel because if it was a Skunk they would be half eaten and more than one dead at a time. I think it was Farley Mowat who said that if a weasel was as big as a wolf no man would be safe in the forest.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Default Re: Weasle in the henhouse.

Whatever it is, you want to stop it, but I've seen skunks that didn't eat them as well. Cats sometimes will kill them and not eat them. A live trap is probably the best choice (it won't kill a chicken if they get in it). Try an egg for bait (cracked open but set up right so it's still in shell). If that doesn't work, try some fresh meat and see what you get. Tuna is the best for cats... just put a slit in the can so they can smell it, but don't actually open it where they can eat it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

El Chupacabra. We've got ring tail cats here that do the same thing.

I had a weasel get into my coop last year. Like you said, bites their neck out and drinks the blood but leaves the rest of the bird. In my case I think the weasel got in early and then got stuck when the automatic door closed, so by the next morning every one of my layers was dead. Major bummer and I feel your frustrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Whatever it is, you want to stop it, but I've seen skunks that didn't eat them as well. Cats sometimes will kill them and not eat them. A live trap is probably the best choice .
    Generally I find that a larger predator like a cat, canine or skunk will rip them up pretty bad, whereas these have bites only around the neck with a few drops of blood. If I can't get a shot at him I'll have to borrow a trap from the county.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    I had a weasel get into my coop last year. Like you said, bites their neck out and drinks the blood but leaves the rest of the bird. In my case I think the weasel got in early and then got stuck when the automatic door closed, so by the next morning every one of my layers was dead. Major bummer and I feel your frustrations!
    I believe the weasel would have killed all mine too but they roost 3 feet off the floor. I think he only killed the ones that were down eating. I caught a Skunk in my broilers one time and he was just killing indiscriminately. He'd rip one up then see another one and rip that one up. By the time I got back with my 12 gauge and dispatched him he'd killed 21 of them. The bonus was we didn't have so many to butcher that year.

If indeed it is a weasel, this is a sure fire way to catch the booger.

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman...l_Box_Set.html

If it is not a weasel, I would do what Mr. bush said and use a live trap. However, I have never been able to catch a weasel in a live trap. They are too savvy around here.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

It could also be a mink, they just drink the blood & sometimes eat the head like a weasel, whichever it is it will be back. Minks live alone & weasels live in families.

Last year I had a mink kill over 20 hens for me. To catch him I started catching the hens off the roost every night & putting them in large cages inside the hen house so they would have a better chance, then I had 36 steel traps that I would set on the hen house floor, after about a week I had my mink in 3 separate traps.

Quote Originally Posted by drhaney View Post
    It could also be a mink, they just drink the blood & sometimes eat the head like a weasel, whichever it is it will be back. Minks live alone & weasels live in families.

Last year I had a mink kill over 20 hens for me. To catch him I started catching the hens off the roost every night & putting them in large cages inside the hen house so they would have a better chance, then I had 36 steel traps that I would set on the hen house floor, after about a week I had my mink in 3 separate traps.
    Darn David! When you go all out, you go all out! 36 steel traps for one mink, you must have hated him bad. That's a pretty good price tag too! You are the "Rambo Trapper".
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post

If it is not a weasel, I would do what Mr. bush said and use a live trap. However, I have never been able to catch a weasel in a live trap. They are too savvy around here.
    That sounds like a good plan. I think I will build one tomorrow. The only thing is I don't have 2 traps, kicking around here somewhere I have what we call a Gopher trap. It'll have to do.
    Colino

Would lend you a shotgun and some traps but there is a pesky border between me and you. We go through the same issue year after year in one of our mating nuc yards with are own variety of varmints ( does anybody have a use for coon skins).

Darn David! When you go all out, you go all out! 36 steel traps for one mink, you must have hated him bad. That's a pretty good price tag too! You are the "Rambo Trapper".
    I didn't hate him all that back but 20 hens in a little over a week it don't take long to bust up the game. I still have him in the freezer

When I read "Weasle in the henhouse" I thought this thread was going to be about one of my family members. Carry on...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    When I read "Weasle in the henhouse" I thought this thread was going to be about one of my family members. Carry on...
    I didn't realize I had spelled weasel wrong in the title until after I posted and then I couldn't figure out how to edit it.
    Colino

Talon:
    This is a really good link, I spent a serious amount of time there. Did you know Charles Dobbins personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Talon:
    This is a really good link, I spent a serious amount of time there. Did you know Charles Dobbins personally?
    Nope, but I use his lures!

You can make a "Weasel box trap" using rat traps which are cheap and easy to find. Google "Weasel box trap plans".
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    You can make a "Weasel box trap" using rat traps which are cheap and easy to find. Google "Weasel box trap plans".
    Believe it or not Beeslave but Alberta, the province I live in is Rat free. We have the Rocky mountains to the west of us and the sparsely populated province of Saskatchewan to the east. While Saskatchewan to the east and British Columbia to the west both have rats, we don't in Alberta. The government has a rat patrol that sets up bait stations along both those borders. It has worked for over a 100 years so far. I don't think I've ever seen a rat trap in the stores here. But that could be because I've never looked for them.
    Colino