Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Engineers and Bees

I use to be a practical mechanical engineer but now I am just a putterer.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Majored in Horticulture - but married an Electrical Engineer - does that count?

JC

No, miss. We have to draw the line somewhere. Next we'll have to let in English majors.

Not an engineer, but Majored in Commercial Beekeeping at ATI/OSU.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Beerz, in all fairness and sensitivity, please, we're not trying to be exclusive here. Well, maybe to English Majors. But be gentle. The original intent was to find out how many forum participants are Engineers, thought by most non-technical segments of society to be Asperger's victims.

So to all the biologists, horticulturists, housewives, and teachers inquiring, ask yourself if you really are eager to be in this particular group???

Some say there is a spectrum of disease in which autism is the extreme, and then there is a gradation through Asperger's toward "normal". The usual assessment is that Asperger's victims are emotionally muted, and Autism means you are emotionally dead inside. Of course, anyone who thinks that has never run into Temple Grandin, who would quickly set you straight on that diagnosis. She's got autism, and a PhD, and you've probably seen her in her fancy cowboy shirts on TV, talking up a storm and not the least bit introverted.

Me, I think the disorder continues to the whole other extreme, the end on which the social scientists, English majors, and other artsy set resides. That's the end that panic in an emergency instead of working it out, thrash around the stage moaning "To be, or NOT to be?", suffer melancholia, and are basically screaming loonies when things get bad.
    Last edited by Phoebee; 02-14-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Beerz, in all fairness and sensitivity, please, we're not trying to be exclusive here. Well, maybe to English Majors. But be gentle. The original intent was to find out how many forum participants are Engineers, thought by most non-technical segments of society to be Asperger's victims.
    Actually, I believe the OP inquired as to who has a "science/engineering background". Lol...it still doesn't include English majors though (insert sarcasm here).
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

The idea being, "Who else would want to work alone with stinging insects?'"

Heck, the real test is, do you like bees, or run away screaming when you see one?

I personally think most farmers are born engineers. They can fix anything with bailing wire and pliers, design by instinct, and understand mechanics or they die. They also work complex systems.

My favorite engineer in history was Oliver Evans, a farmboy apprenticed as a wheelwright, with no formal education, who designed an automated flour mill shortly after the American Revolution, and went on to develop high pressure steam engines from scratch. I know people with engineering degrees who are not engineers. No knack.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    The idea being, "Who else would want to work alone with stinging insects?'"
    Yep, you would have to be somewhat different. We're all just plain weird I suppose.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Electrical PE, extrovert, can not stand in a line without shooting the breeze with everybody. Facilities, HVAC, Power distribution. Spent the better part of the week switching 15000 volt breakers for replacing the 6’ tall ones with new vacuum bottle ones. You can not spell gEEk without the EE (electrical engineer)
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Beerz, in all fairness and sensitivity, please, we're not trying to be exclusive here.

So to all the biologists, horticulturists, housewives, and teachers inquiring, ask yourself is you really are eager to be in this particular group???

Me, I think the disorder continues to the whole other extreme, the end on which the social scientists, English majors, and other artsy set resides. That's the end that panic in an emergency instead of working it out, thrash around the stage moaning "To be, or NOT to be?", suffer melancholia, and are basically screaming loonies when things get bad.
    Yes, I like this group. I raised engineers.
    Did you just call me a "housewife"?
    Im also an Art major. (Oh, the horror!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Yes, I like this group. I raised engineers.
    Did you just call me a "housewife"?
    Im also an Art major. (Oh, the horror!)
    That's alright, I'm a writer (was invited to become an English major but refused on account of wanting to have a job when I graduated). I've been thinking about writing a story in which a bunch of warrior types rescue a Mom. But it turns out the Mom does what Moms do ... which is whatever needs doing whatever it takes, and saves the bacon of the warrior types more than once. She spots things not in their training ... she's used to worrying about her kids.

Im curious.
    Are you a Mother?

No, but I like writing with strong female characters and have been suspected of being a woman writer with a male pen name. My wife and I were never blessed with kids.

Phoebee is from the name of our place in the mountains, the Phoebe's Nest, named by a little grey bird that builds nests on the cabin every year. The gag is the apiary will be called the Fee-Bees Nest due to how much money we are putting into the pet bees.

BA Biology from Carthage College, Kenosha Wis.

I have backed down a few engineers, they had not enough time in the field.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    Actually, I believe the OP inquired as to who has a "science/engineering background". Lol...it still doesn't include English majors though (insert sarcasm here).

To tell you truth, I think a STEM background can be a detriment to successful beekeeping. Such people have too much attitude about how they can save the bees by engineering their bees and hives to meet whatever hair-brained theory that they have at the particular moment. Even if you went to MIT or RPI you are not going to reinvent the wheel after thousands of years of human manipulation of bees. It just ain't going to happen. It's like playing pool or hitting a baseball. Every engineer thinks that they are good at it because they understand concepts like conservation of momentum, angles, and velocity. It may work on paper, but not in real life.

Also the irritation factor and one sided affect on discussion boards such as this, does not always facilitate meaningful discussion.

Myself; guilty as charged.
    Last edited by Nabber86; 02-15-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added more
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I'm the only guy here who has ever accused Mike Bush of 'transesterification'.

Beekeeping is much more interesting with STEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    So were you a maintenance man, or do you actually have a degree?
    You have read my resume cover to cover so it is questionable why you would ask.

Even though Roland's comment has a negative tone, I somewhat agree with what he said. We get back to the definition of an "Engineer". Not all engineers have engineering degrees. The State of NY recognizes that experience plays a part so you can become a professional engineer with experience and passing a test.

Now I am in property management / maintenance. I got my start many years ago in mechanical maintenance and assembly of automatic machines for textile. Through out my carrier I knew many people in maintenance who knew a lot more then you that taught me plenty. I wouldn't go ditzing maintenance personnel. But then I am not you.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Network Engineer, and master of duct tape and bailing wire.

Funny you say that Ace. In the computer VAR world everyone is a systems or network engineer. I started a job and was given the title of Senior Network Engineer. I thought that was special, until I realized that all of us were Senior Network Engineers!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast