Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Engineers and Bees

When I was a kid, I engineered a great bird trap with a box and a stick that had a very long string attached to it. Does that qualify me?

I don't think I waited long enough on the other end of the string though.

The one thing I am taking away from this thread is STEM. I had never heard this acronym prior to this thread. I've got to get out more.

I'm a bit confused. Is there a degree or university discipline named STEM, or is it some BS graduates in the sciences or math that self proclaim themselves to be STEM qualified?

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    Is there a degree or university discipline named STEM, or is it some BS graduates in the sciences or math that self proclaim themselves to be STEM qualified?
    No, you don't get a degree in STEM per se. There is no BS in STEM that I am aware of. If you are studying in any tech-related field, you are a STEM major. Or you could say that you are in the STEM program at your school (if they have a formal STEM Program, it is pure marketing).

You could be an English major working as a lab rat and you would be working in the STEM field. You could also drop out of school and continue to work in a lab and still be working in the STEM field.

Putting too much emphasis on the term like calling yourself a STEM Scholar or any other such nonsense, is in exercise in self-aggrandizement (or is it aggrandizing? I should have paid attention in English class).
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I am a Safety Technician who does Fire Protection and Safety Engineering among his duties. Mostly reviewing plans submitted by a real engineer to check his mistakes for compliance. So yeah - definitely in the club.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Well, been an Auto Mechanic, Auto Air Conditioner Tech, Machinist, Tool Maker, Power Plant Operator, Large Engine Mechanic & now retired. I also am a "HAM RADIO OPERATOR". Does that make me an Engineer? Bee's keep me from getting Alzheimer disease.

APL: a programming language.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I recall a whole bunch of posts getting delete awhile back in this thread. Looks like we're right back at it.
    Well, you do know the source from which this all STEMs. Maybe direct communication would be best?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Got a lot of different experience, but just don't have the Sheepskin to go with it and that makes a big difference in the PAY.

Nabber:

Thanks for the information. It seems like STEM is a catch all term for people that don't have a specific degree, but want to recognized as a scientist.

Nope.

The STEM field includes science, technology, engineering, and math.

It fits in with the OPs intent.

Barry has actually deleted two of his own posts.

He's getting 'delete post' punchy.

STEM should never be considered to be an elitist term! It just means Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math are subjects we want to encourage kids to learn. Not just a few elites, but kids in general. Make it fun, make it interesting, show them how to build the future. Get them involved in science fairs and that sort of thing.

I consider this one to be another of "my kids", although I didn't know about him until earlier today. Other people helped him, all I did was write an article that proposed the thing he built as a science fair project.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/education/...ctor-1-6478560

This made me chuckle today that STEM was in the local news.

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.co...NEWS/140309433 I wonder if someone there is on beesource?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the first one to ever use the term 'STEM' on BeeSource.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm the first one to ever use the term 'STEM' on BeeSource.
    Yes you are the first one to ever use the term.

I think it started here back in February:

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    To tell you truth, I think a STEM background can be a detriment to successful beekeeping. Such people have too much attitude about how they can save the bees by engineering their bees and hives to meet whatever hair-brained theory that they have at the particular moment. Even if you went to MIT or RPI you are not going to reinvent the wheel after thousands of years of human manipulation of bees. It just ain't going to happen. It's like playing pool or hitting a baseball. Every engineer thinks that they are good at it because they understand concepts like conservation of momentum, angles, and velocity. It may work on paper, but not in real life.

Also the irritation factor and one sided affect on discussion boards such as this, does not always facilitate meaningful discussion.

Myself; guilty as charged.

Last edited by Nabber86; 03-07-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    This made me chuckle today that STEM was in the local news.

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.co...NEWS/140309433 I wonder if someone there is on beesource?
    I also had a chuckle when I read the story. My daughter is going to Truman State this fall to study psychology. I couldn't convince her to go to Rolla and do the STEM thing.

Found this at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix last week. Note the 11+ mile range!

The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

deknow,
    That gives me hope being a beekeeper. I have a small business and I build the replica Tangley Calliope as well as some other models. It's a small business, but it's been going for almost 30 years. I am not the original owner of the business, but worked with him for most of those years.

http://minercompany.com/

That's terrific! In some of my former 'lives', I've been a flute/piccolo maker (Haynes, Powell, Burkart) and built/restored/recorded/performed with classic analog synthesis equipment.

I met my wife when I built a theremin from a kit and found a local theremin band that was looking for another theremin player (one of the 3 was moving to the UK).

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    That's terrific! In some of my former 'lives', I've been a flute/piccolo maker (Haynes, Powell, Burkart) and built/restored/recorded/performed with classic analog synthesis equipment.

I met my wife when I built a theremin from a kit and found a local theremin band that was looking for another theremin player (one of the 3 was moving to the UK).

deknow
    I can't help but smile at your theremin experience. I am trying to visualize a theremin band. I only met one guy ever that played, or even mentioned a theremin. Until then I didn't know they existed. He also played the Glass Armonica and just about any unusual instrument you can find.
    I'm really not a big musical guy. I mostly just know how to build things. I did build a violin lately though that plays ok.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast