Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Engineers and Bees

I've read several articles on personality traits of bee keepers, in that context I'm a walking stereotype. The recent discussion on thermodynamics of a cluster/hive is one that's been playing out in my head for years now. I'm also an engineer and fit some of those stereotypes as well, inteoverted, socially awkward etc. I've seen a few others make reference a science/engineering background here on beesource over the last year so I thought I'd ask the question, how many of you have a background in science or engineering?

BS Chemical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2006.
    Last edited by Kevtater; 02-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Default Re: Engineers and Bees

Guilty, and also evidently guilty of triggering your question. Electrical engineering technology and biology degrees, Va Tech, 1970's, career includes nuclear rocket science
    I'm hardly introverted though. Science fiction author, don't mind speaking to large crowds. Socially inept, maybe.

Yes I saw your recent post, but it was hardly the first. There are others, who's posts just stand out, without directly stating their background.

Our local beekeeper's assocation's outgoing president is a young woman I had the pleasure of chatting with at a meet-and-greet last fall. Turns out she's a mathematical physicist. Another physicist I hang out with is an avid beekeeper. I told him about this young lady and he wanted to know if she was available.

Wildlife biologist.
    I'm not what I would call socially awkward, but then again that's my opinion. I'm constantly speaking with the public on the job.
    My neighbor, who is a beekeeper is also a biologist.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Mechanical Engineering from The Ohio State University. I personally know just one other engineer beekeeper. I wouldn't say theres just one profession, our club is pretty diverse, we have construction, farmers, "good ole boys", stay at home mom, newspaper columnist, secretaries, retired folks, UAW autoworker, natural food store manager, docs, radiologist...list goes

Civil Engineer. My son, also a beekeeper, has a Masters on Physics.

Civil engineering and aeronautical engineering. Handle related to a spectacular mistake in one of them

Telecommunications engineer for a lot of years. Funny thing, most of what I do is self taught. There are no courses or formal training that really teach what I need to know. Definitely introverted, but enjoy speaking in front of large crowds. Socially awkward, but much attenuated in the last 20 years.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Technology Education and Engineering Education degrees. I teach engineering along with a few other tech oriented fields.

OK, now you did it! I've been in the computer business for 25 years, built servers, setup networks and everything else that goes with computer systems. From mom and pop shops to Citibank. College Chemistry, Biology, Genetics and an Associates of Science. Not a rocket scientist like a Chemical Engineer, but can understand how deep it gets. I started with my first two hives this year and lost the one that gave me 10 gallons of honey. Well that made me mad, so being my eccentric self I wanted to create a beehive with climate control, I know sounds crazy. The cost would be prohibitive on a large scale but for the hobbyist it would be more like a mission. If you heat a hive your going to have condensation, which needs to be controlled. Requires a fan on some kind. Would need to be monitored, which with the technology now could be done with a sensor inside the hive and possibly even having the information sent to a computer. I've seen sensors from Monnit Corp. they are more for external use but are wireless. I know a lot of people have tried different things and the old story is bees been doing it for 10 million years. I don't want to heat the hive so that the bees don't cluster, it's has been 18 below here with a 40 mph wind. Brutal! Bee keeping farmer that I've been working with said if you weren't over 47 years old you would have never seen a winter like the one we just had..

Mechanical Engineer here.

MS in Geography, undergrad in Zoology and too many years in GIS screen planting.

Stationary Operating Engineer, includes a little bit of everything above and HVAC, Chillers, Boilers, Cooling Towers, Pumps, Pneumatic and Digital Controls, etc... Mostly highrise commercial buildings.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

I don't know how many beekeepers are engineers, but bees certainly are.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Phoebee was the rocket scientist....
    You guys might like this... If you haven't seen it already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60P1x...e_gdata_player

Chemical process controls engineering. Have not worked out bee control just yet.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Count me in, MS in analytical chemistry.

Tool Engineer by trade (also sometimes Design Engineer & Liaison Engineer) aircraft industry. Degrees: BS Aviation Technology (Airframe & Powerplant License - not current), AAS Aviation Management, and MA in Art (specializing in Sculpture, Ceramics, and alloyed steel. Sometimes get called a nerd by my coworkers if it means anything.

Computer Programmer. Part of the club.
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care
    Camden, OH My home page: http://christ77.tripod.com/