Default use medium with shimmed lid for bait box?

I have a lot of medium boxes and frames right now and I'd like to use them for bait boxes. I'd also like to use a piece of plywood for bottom board, attached with hive staples, and then shim the lid for an entrance with plywood lid, both cut to hive box size. I'd like to do it for ease of moving them once the swarm moves in and is well established. I usually wait about 2 weeks when possible before moving. I'm looking for a way to make the box a little lighter. I also have a couple screen inner lids that I can switch the lid to it when I'm ready to move the hives, for ventilation.
    Does anyone see a problem with this?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: use medium with shimmed lid for bait box?

I have used plywood with an entrance hole drilled in the top. We don't get much spring rain here. I used a square of 1/8" hardware cloth and thumb tacks for closing this entrance during moving. I have used 1/4" plywood also but you need the best kind or it delaminates. I also have these 3/4" bottoms with a dadoed slot and luann lid. This picture shows both a plywood top and bottom, not light enough for a gimp like me but it works.

I was thinking of making top entrances the same way you have made your bottom entrances, but figured I would only have to go back about 2 inches. Is there a reason you felt the need to make your cut so far back?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluebee View Post
    I was thinking of making top entrances the same way you have made your bottom entrances, but figured I would only have to go back about 2 inches. Is there a reason you felt the need to make your cut so far back?
    I doubt the bees would complain either way.

Thanks odfrank. Yesterday I went to Home depot and got a sheet of 3/8 plywood. They cut it for me--free!--8 lids/bottoms and 4 nuk size out of the one sheet, for around $23. I didn't know until yesterday they would cut it all up for me. I am thrilled about that! I will use 2 coats primer, 2 coats exterior paint for edge and outside, and hope they hold up for awhile. I'll pull the plywood once I move them to permanent home.

I think I will go with the hole at the top of the hive. I have a 1 1/4" drill bit so I can do that myself. I will try one or two with a shim and see what happens. I'm thinking they will prefer the hole.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF