Thread: the "eco floor"

Default the "eco floor"

I ran across this video a week ago and became intrigued. I have heard many times before that the beehive is more than just bees - various bacteria and fungi live in there and help the ecology of the hive. I am curious if anyone has any information on this hive floor or has perhaps tried anything similar. I could see this thing going really well or terribly wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWB-pdlqeFQ

Default Re: the "eco floor"

Benefits? I can't think of any.

Drawbacks? It provides an area for mice, termites, wood-ants etc to live. The mice might introduce black plague to your honey... wood ants and termites will eat the hive. Water could collect there and cause mold to grow.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I tried having a box for debris below the hive. If you screen it off, then the bees can't police it and SHB and wax moths get more populous. If you don't screen it off, they haul it out for trash and fill the space with comb. I couldn't see any real benefit to it and some things were worrisome if it was screened off, like SHB and wax moths gone wild...

Screened it was unnatural beause the bees couldn't police it. Not screened make a mess of comb on the bottom of the frames. I like the concept, I just don't see how to implement it well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have seen quite a lot of discussion on the eco-floors use in the UK. Recently there has been quite a lot about including the pseudo-scorpions to aid in varroa control and obviously we have yet to have SHB to deal with. The material to be used needs to be organic material which is too large for the bees to remove, better success has been had with woodchips that have had time to season outside of the hive to allow volatile oils to dissipate, and general flora build up. Generally, we are waiting to see how the colonies wintered on the deep floors have performed compared to those overwintered in standard bottoms. But the "feeling" of the people using them seems to be that the colonies seem healthy and happy. I don't know whether or not this is more natural environment for the bees or not but some the arguments put forward with regard to temperature/humidity/moisture control certainly make logical sense with regard to buffering or more effectively resisting rapid changes.

Thanks, AugustC.
    As I said above, I could see this going really well or really, really bad. Then again, the point of experimentation is to determine which outcome will result.
    That makes sense about the larger wood chips, and there need to be aged. As Bluegrass stated above, it could potentially provide a breeding ground for bad things, but the idea, as I understand it, is that this particular environment also is perfect for the pest predators.
    Is the bottom you are testing similar to what was made in the video or quite different? Is there somewhere updates on the experiment are being posted?
    Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
    Allen

My interest started because of what I would find in the bottom of healthy colonies I would remove from trees. Usually a pile of detritus at the bottom, full of ants, beetles, mites, centipedes, pseudo scorpions, sow bugs, wax moth larvae, cockroaches etc.

I'm just not sure how to recreate it in a managed box without ending up with wild comb hanging from the bottoms of the frames in the bottom box...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by ositolud View Post
    this particular environment also is perfect for the pest predators.
    I think this is a good time to talk the predator/prey relationship and relay the story of the Asian Longhorned Beetle. We hear about this invader all the time here in the northeast, we see the survey traps hanging in roadside trees all summer long. We hear how they are destroying our forests and states are cracking down of firewood sellers trying to stop the spread. But why is this bug so detrimental to our forests, but live in balance with the forests back were they come from? It is a predator/pray relationship. The beetle larva on their native turf is a main food source for woodpeckers. We have woodpeckers here, but they don't consider the Beetle Larva food because they didn't evolve together, so our woodpeckers don't eat the larva and keep the beetles in check.

When it come to natural predators of the Varroa mite it is a safe bet that we do not have any. I wouldn't assume that the predatory insects around the bottom of your hives are going to do anything with the dropped mites unless you physically observe them doing so or some research comes out that indicates they do.

>When it come to natural predators of the Varroa mite it is a safe bet that we do not have any.

Actually, we do, and they would live in the detritus at the bottom of a hive...

A search on google will give you a bunch of videos where you can watch pseudo scorpions eat Varroa mites:
    https://www.google.com/#q=scorpion+e...a+mite&tbm=vid

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >When it come to natural predators of the Varroa mite it is a safe bet that we do not have any.

Actually, we do, and they would live in the detritus at the bottom of a hive...

A search on google will give you a bunch of videos where you can watch pseudo scorpions eat Varroa mites:
    https://www.google.com/#q=scorpion+e...a+mite&tbm=vid
    as part of 'spring cleaning' i have been scraping my bottom boards clean with the hive tool. would it be better not to?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

And then there is Stratiolaelaps which is a mite that would also live in the detritus and also eats Varroa... not to mention fire ants eating Varroa...

>as part of 'spring cleaning' i have been scraping my bottom boards clean with the hive tool. would it be better not to?

The jury is still out... I don't know. I clean mine figuring the bees will eventually and I'll save them the work while I'm there...

I will have to look into this more. It looks like some research has been done in New Zealand with a native species there that was promising. Briefly looking I see very little that mentions specific species or any native to North America...... Remember not all woodpeckers eat Asian long-horned beetle larva.

I don't have fire ants and don't want any, I don't care what they eat

>I don't have fire ants

Me neither.

>and don't want any,

Me neither.

> I don't care what they eat

Me neither.

Even Prince Charles has an eco-floor in his topbarhive:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-tail.html

>I'm just not sure how to recreate it in a managed box without ending up with wild comb hanging from the bottoms of the frames in the bottom box...

Have a matching 1/4" screen on the top of the eco floor or grid similar to a slatted rack.

I built two hives with eco floors and decided against them when I found dozens of American cockroaches living the "hive life" later. My bigger worry, though, was small hive beetles. They're persistent enough without giving them more places to hide.

>Have a matching 1/4" screen on the top of the eco floor or grid similar to a slatted rack.

It might work, unless they decide to build under the 1/4" hardware cloth, but that would probably be the best plan if you wanted to pursue it.

Thinking out loud.
    how about using a router to cut pyrmaids into the bottom board? Similar to the pattern they use for sound proofing, or a waffle iron. The peaks may keep extra comb to a minimum and the valleys would be habitat.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.