Default First time beekeeper - East Tennessee

Hello!!! I am so happy to have found this forum and cannot WAIT to get reading everything that I can. I am a young wife and mother and my husband and I have a dream of becoming homesteaders in the next 5 years. Something I have been dreaming of is learning to keep honey bees first and foremost for environmental reasons, and second to have a trade-able item (honey). Maybe even be able to set up at my local farmer's market at some point in the future.

I am trading for my first hive - a top bar. I am so excited! I would like to build up and get a few different kinds to experiment to see which ones I like best. I have read lots of good things about the top bar - anyone with experience willing to give me some advice? Some information I am looking to find out right away is all the extra supplies that I need to get started. I have been watching YouTube videos and see that not everyone uses a suit/veil with the top bar ... true? Or is this reckless?

I appreciate all info and looking forward to learning and meeting new people! =)

Default Re: First time beekeeper - East Tennessee

Welcome to Beesource from Greene County!

You would be smart to at least have a veil available. If you don't want to buy one, making your own is an option ....
    http://www.klamathbeekeepers.org/Bee..._a_budget.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Great! Thanks for the idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFlow View Post
    Great! Thanks for the idea!!
    My wife got interested in keeping bees and told our stock broker. It turned out he keeps bees. He invited us over, loaned her a bee suit, and they dove into his back yard hive. I watched my wife fall in love with the little rascals right then and there. I wish I'd had a camera to watch the little-girl joy spread on her face.

I think you're gonna like it.

Hidey ho there neighbor. I agree with raider at least a veil, I know one guy blind in one eye from a bee sting. I would go ahead and get a suit at least until you are comfortable around them. They are like a horse they can tell when you are nervous and get more agressive.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Welcome from just down the road (Interstate). I would begin with a veil & suit. Getting stung will probably take the fun out of it for you. Dig through the endless posts on this site (a lot of combined knowledge on Bee Source), join a local bee club, and find a mentor to help you get going. There will likely be someone close to you that would be willing to help out a new beek.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome

Welcome from gainesboro! Some good honey gets produced in your area!

Welcome! You could compromise and just get a half suit with veil - like a canvas pullover with a zipper attached veil. I have one and feel its cooler and easier to manuver in. Most importantly - have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycobb View Post
    Welcome! You could compromise and just get a half suit with veil - like a canvas pullover with a zipper attached veil. I have one and feel its cooler and easier to manuver in. Most importantly - have fun!
    You can also use a tyvek suit-very cheap-$8 bucks or so. They can be hot and tear easily but you can patch them with duct tape. Bees might sting through it when it gets wellworn but it is a light sting.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B