Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caucasian

Default Re: Caucasian

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    If anyone buys these queens and exports queens to Canada, send me a private message. Some daughter queens would interest me.
    If you manage to get some imported I would certainly be interested!
    TF - Year Two, Eight Colonies
    http://www.honeydrunk.ca

Have you noticed them unplugging the holes or the entrance at certain times in the year, when the weather justifies it, or do they permanently keep it all to a strict minimum no matter what?
    In this one they closed up end of October, (reduced or sealed all) we had had some early cold nights when I noticed it. Summer all openings, front entrance, 2 front 1" holes, and 3 - 1" holes in back all open. The pics above were taken today 30 degrees. Suppose to warm up this week to 50-60 during days. I expect to see some activity.
    Ed

Hi

I prefer Carniolan bees over Italians. They also have a longer tongue but don't propolize everything like Caucasians. They are gentle and produce nice honey. They also rise early and forage out late more than any bee. I would recommend them, but that is my opinion. Hope you everything works out.

I spoke with Sue Cobey today about the propolis tendency. She said they gather a lot in the fall in prep for the cold and if there there is yellow jacket predation.

They should be good at keeping beetles out to.

Any current prices on propolis?
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBJ View Post
    I spoke with Sue Cobey today about the propolis tendency. She said they gather a lot in the fall in prep for the cold and if there there is yellow jacket predation.

They should be good at keeping beetles out to.

Any current prices on propolis?
    They adapt their propolis use according to need? I think I'm falling in love with this bee. I did have serious yellow jacket problems with some hives last fall, too... Slow spring buildup is a total bummer, though. Does anyone know how well the midnight hybrids fared regarding spring buildup and swarming?

As for propolis, local average in 2012 771,16$/kg, about 100x the price of honey. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with honey at all?
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

The slow buildup is essentially a management issue. They tend to be frugal when there is no protein/pollen coming in, preferring to time brood rearing for solid flows. Pretty smart really.

If you need bees early... take the appropriate stimulative measures earlier than that. Of course there are limits to what you can do when, but if you can convince them "it's on" for real they will respond appropriately. Not unlike Carni's or Russians in that regard.

Was that a wholesale or retail price for propolis?
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBJ View Post
    The slow buildup is essentially a management issue. They tend to be frugal when there is no protein/pollen coming in, preferring to time brood rearing for solid flows. Pretty smart really.

If you need bees early... take the appropriate stimulative measures earlier than that. Of course there are limits to what you can do when, but if you can convince them "it's on" for real they will respond appropriately. Not unlike Carni's or Russians in that regard.

Was that a wholesale or retail price for propolis?
    Carnies are said not to breed much when resources are low, yet to have a great spring buildup. What's the deal?

As for propolis price, it's from: http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/statistiq...el/h6_2012.htm. It's an average. That data comes from the yearly census to registered beekeepers, as far as I can tell, so it doesn't include propolis trade from non-beeks.

It would seem beekeepers sell twice as much as they produce in the province.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Here in Turkey you can order Caucasian from any supplier because It is native race of the northeast part of Turkey. So we have a lot of experience with this kind... I can say that all downsides mentioned here are generally true. They are really successful in their own habitat but they have adaptation problem in different areas. They like rainy, high hills.

Nothing new to update on them opening the entrance or holes. However they do gather in cooler weather. Today's high was 46 degrees, very cloudy and windy. Noticed them at 42 degrees returning with lots of pollen and expect some early nectar.
    Ed

They adapt their propolis use according to need? I think I'm falling in love with this bee. I did have serious yellow jacket problems with some hives last fall, too... Slow spring buildup is a total bummer, though. Does anyone know how well the midnight hybrids fared regarding spring buildup and swarming?

As for propolis, local average in 2012 771,16$/kg, about 100x the price of honey. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with honey at all?

Propolis price, what a difference.. Here they pay to us around 70, maybe 80 euros per kg.. If that price is right.. Little to say huge difference..
    About carnies and propolis.. Not all the same, some more propolise, some less. But as all the bees more in late summer as prep for winter, and early spring also.
    For caucasian I heard they tend to go out from the hive in unfavourable weather and lose more bees cause of that risky habit ( but also carnies can get losses in spring when still weather is unsettled and sometimes lot of bees with pollen can find around a hives when they got cold and die).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12