Default your bee garden this year

So what is everyone's bee garden plan for this year?

Are you adding anything new or want to change certain planting features on your plan?
    I would like to see my sunflower patch expand more to 20' and plant a patch of clovers.
    What about you?

Default Re: your bee garden this year

We've got some bare areas where we will be putting down white and/or yellow clover as a cover crop to get things started. My wife has some herbs in mind. We're blessed by an excellent mix of wildflowers, including late bloomers, already, so mostly we just need to encourage what we have.

We have a lot of crown vetch that the bumblebees love but I'm told the honeybees can't get much use of. We'll work on replacing it with the better local stuff like mountain mint.

My wife and I were fortunate to buy our house from a retired couple that gardened constantly. Our yard consists of what I believe as an ideal bee spot and we feel very fortunate for it. The only addition I have for the year is a few linden shoots from my parents house. My great grandfather planted them many years ago and my grandfather and I are going to transfer some to my house.

I was a horticulturalist before I became a beekeeper, so my yard is pretty well stocked with things to their liking. However, I did find myself converting my vegetable garden (which the deer eat before I do) over to a wildflower garden for the bees. I went to Selectseeds.com and did a filter on honeybee plants. I selected items that I've never grown before and am looking forward to seeing how well the bees love them. Some of the items I purchased were: Blue Woodruff, Clary Sage, Kiss me over the garden gate, Mignonette, Shirley poppy, annual candytuft, prickley poppy, lavertera, and linaria. It was a forager honeybee on my purple malva last year that started my current obsession with honeybees.

My property abuts a creek with about 100 yards of mixed woods and open patches of no mans land on the other side.. Last year I seeded Sweet Yellow clover on both sides of the creek for about a 1/4 mile one way and almost a half mile the other way. I ordered lots of Centaurea and Borago seeds and will start plants with them and stick them anywhere there is a spot. We already have multiple plantings of lavender and mint as well as many types of berries and fruit trees. I even think I am going to forget the vegetable garden this year, I have several years worth of canned food already and can buy what I need from the Amish cheaper than I can grow it. So my old vegetable garden 42' X 80' is going to be planted with Sainfoin and when that finishes, I will plant Mancan buckwheat again to provide late flow until the frost kills it.

I meant to mention, my wife looked for buckwheat recently, but her favorite seed supplier was out. They usually have it by the bin. It is on the list.