Default War with the SHB Terroists!!

War with the SHB and my girls have been relentless!! And it will continue. However I'm doing all I can and as with a bunch of females they all like to be neat and clean and want to constantly improve their living abodes.
    So, every fall I usually change out brood bodies, bottom boards and inner covers with fresh cleaned new ones. Gives me a great chance to clean,repair, and inspect my honey and brood boxes, tops,and inner covers.
    I have decided to further fight and help the girls as much as I can and decided to go back with a latex caulk and smooth any crack, crevice,hole,wrinkle,etc that is a little large for propolis and for the females to handle. Main place is in the inside corners of the hive bodies. Lots of propolis is usually there but a smooth small rounded bead of caulk will help with the hiding places for the SHB to go too. They like the corners and I've seen them and tried to mash as many as I can when I see them. Someone really needs to develop a small bee size stealth "drone" to laser blast them. But until then they get mashed by me.
    Probably really don't matter to the ladies but it sure has made me feel better to help in their war!!

Default Re: War with the SHB Terroists!!

Oooh, a laser! Sounds like fun. I actually saw a patent for a hive laser dated 2010, although I can see a lot of practical problems implementing it. There was a thread here a few days ago for a SHB zapper proposed as a Kickstarter project.

I'm going to have power available at my front-yard hives and was wondering if anyone had tried a small keyboard vacuum cleaner? Maybe suck the little rascals up with a vacuum with a SHB-sized snout?

Now I guess, if the garage ever warms up, I need to grab my caulk gun and get out there to bead the corners.

Hopefully, someone will develop a better trap and we can manage these creatures. In the late 60's and early 70's all I ever had to deal with was wax moths. They were manageable if the hive was strong and you stored honey supers with 1 or 2 moth balls to a stack.
    Beetles and mites are invaders from who knows where and who!

I started a major bro-ha-ha in a discussion of Bt for wax moth control in another thread. Now they're arguing about moth balls, naphthalene versus paradichlorobenzene. Seems the former is bad and the latter less so? I'm convinced to try CO2 fumigation of stored comb.

The problem with varroa is that they're rarely as much in the open as the few pictures of them sitting on a thorax suggest. But SHB, well, now there's a good optical target. But we simply MUST have a camera on the device, otherwise we lose the great satisfaction of seeing them fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    I'm going to have power available at my front-yard hives and was wondering if anyone had tried a small keyboard vacuum cleaner? Maybe suck the little rascals up with a vacuum with a SHB-sized snout?
    Answering my own question, there apparently are battery-operated beetle-vacs available, which meet my requirement of being emotionally satisfying for small-scale beekeepers to use, if not actually terribly effective.

"Battery operated vacuums are also available for beetle removal, however this form of control is for the small-scale beekeeper who only has a few bee colonies. These activities can give the beekeeper a tremendous since (sic) of gratification, but it can be a futile effort when colonies are overrun with beetles."

http://vincemasterbeekeeper.files.wo...e-ipm-hood.pdf

And it tells me that the SBB system we bought (one for each hive) are equipped with Freeman Beetle Traps. Looked insidious to me, and evidently will kill SHB and varroa if they are clumsy, and will work with a corrugated board smeared with petroleum jelly as well. We may not see them drown, but we get to count the corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    And it tells me that the SBB system we bought (one for each hive) are equipped with Freeman Beetle Traps. Looked insidious to me, and evidently will kill SHB and varroa if they are clumsy.
    Just waiting for the "that selection process leave graceful acrobatic SHB to breed." Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Just waiting for the "that selection process leave graceful acrobatic SHB to breed." Comment
    Vincemasterbeekeeper's writeup suggests another way to deal with SHB. Turns out the larvae leave the hive, drop out the entrance, and burrow in the ground to complete their pupation stage. They don't go far. There are pesticides to deal with them in the ground, but I'm wondering what happens if I salt the ground inside my bee cage. We already have salt in the ground nearby for a salt lick.

But then I won't see the bodies. But if that is effective, they'll never evolve grace.

SHB !!!! hi guys I am a student of the fatbeeman I run the traps like he makes in all my hives I have very few SHB he has videos on you tube shows how to make them. and its cheep!!

I saw somewhere a guy was using an ear cleaning vacuum to catch them. As seen on tv. Lol

SHB hate light, thats a well documentated fact. If you take the top cover and the inner cover away and replace them with a 1/4" Plesiglass cover the beetles will move to the bottom of the hive. Especially if the bottom board is painted black. Put your beetle traps down there and the beetles will not be a problem.
    I use a variant of the oil bath trap. I use glue from the people that make sticky board insect traps.

Every yard I have seems to have 1 or 2 hives that attract all the beetles. Once you know which hives they are, just have your dust buster (with crevice tool) ready to suck them all up.

http://www.target.com/p/dirt-devil-e...lot=medium_1_3

Quote Originally Posted by GaSteve View Post
    Every yard I have seems to have 1 or 2 hives that attract all the beetles. Once you know which hives they are, just have your dust buster (with crevice tool) ready to suck them all up.

http://www.target.com/p/dirt-devil-e...lot=medium_1_3
    OK, next question, and it is important. After you have the nasty things in your dust-buster, THEN what? Some sort of horrible death, like an old blender, I hope. And nothing so sorry as just freezing them?

Most get a merciful freezing or starve in the dirt devil. For a more satisfying demise, I suppose they could be maimed and poured on a fire ant mound to be eaten alive.

I like that! Sadly, no fire ants, but we've got some big black ones that I've seen haul off bark beetle larvae.

What about placing strips of cut up glue traps or scotch tape above the inner cover (on the screen) to catch SHB as the bees chase them through the screened inner cover?
    I am not sure if this would work, it definitely would not if SHB don't fit through the screen.

Kiran, I'd suggest cutting up strips of flypaper to put in places bees can't reach, but on condition that I get to be there to video you trying it. The first few experiments would likely compare to some uproarious scenes from the Three Stooges.

What about the bees? Won't the dust buster suck them up (if they fit) or injure them (if the don't)?