Default Hello from South Dakota

I have been always wanted to keep bees. I hope this is the year. I am leaning toward top bar hives. I like to build my own equipemt so top bars draw most of my attention. I have not made any final decision so enlighten me. I have time before I can start building if winter allows.

Default Re: Hello from South Dakota

Welcome! I don't have bees either, but I definitely think you should get some! Just cause they are such a delightful little creature. Cool that you are going to build your own stuff, I hope to do that one day.

Welcome. top bar hive can provide an interesting and enjoyable hive, especially if you like building them. because there is less involved in them. However if you find yourself wanting to expand your honey operation to greater production you will find maintaining more than a handful of top bar hive impractical. It is all in the experience and pleasure of bees as to what works best for any beekeeper.

Welcome 72! I too enjoy coming away from a saw with a finished product and all ten fingers. i have made top bar and Langstroth hives for years. The bees do not care and neither does the saw which I choose to build.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I would suggest building a couple Langstroth hives first, because it will be easier to get help from other local beekeepers. Then build yourself a top bar hive to play with.