Default Question for those of you that build your own bottom board beetle traps

Hi all,

I am setting up more hives and strongly believe having a oil trap for the bottom board is a necessity to control SHB. Rather than order them, this time I would like to build my own. However, my carpentry skills leave a lot to be desired. I have seen Rusty's IPM design and others in the thread on this site and have a question. I have found it impossible to find a ready made aluminum try that will fit, and when I try to make one out of sheet metal, I can't seem to prevent getting waves along the side walls. The only way I think I can compensate for this is to dado into the sidewalls...but I'm worried about strength. I could use 2x4, but that would create a lip around the edges where beetles could run around without falling into the pit. I've seen some designs on here that do use 2x4s and have a ledge that can handle the curved corners of the store bought aluminum pans.

My question is, how much do ledges on the bottom board change the effectiveness of the trap? I'd love to not have to make my own trays, but don't want to have SHB laying eggs at the back of the board in an area not covered by the oil.

Thanks!

Default Re: Question for those of you that build your own bottom board beetle traps

Well, if you can't find aluminum trays, use something else. I have some plastic trays that are former cafeteria trays. Also 1/2 sheet cake pans:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cookie...8856_a_7c26437
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Question for those of you that build your own bottom board beetle traps

BetterBee has some plastic trays that are just right for my eight frame bottom boards.

I could easily get the trays for the Freeman beetle traps I have now, they are $15 at ehartwood (Pricey but cheaper than shipping the whole contraption). My question is more does having a part of the bottom board solid, essentially a lip around the "pit" cause the beetles to just hang out along the sides of the bottom board. Lets say for an example I took a skill saw and cut most of a the bottom out of a solid bottom board and put a pan under that..there's still a bit of solid bottom board left.

It's been my experience that if there is a solid rim or edge around the screen, then, yes, the beetles will hang out there and avoid the trap. You will still get beetles in your trap, but not nearly as many. The most effective traps have no nooks or crannies that the beetles can use to avoid falling in the pan below.

This is the one I build:

ipm9.jpg

41ZORpBLTcL._SY355_.jpg

I add this disposable 14x18 aluminum pan (it's a turkey roaster) under the screen. The trap was designed for these pans and I stock up every holiday season, but they are often available at the local Walmart in the off-season. And of course they are available online as well. Occasionally a few beetles miss the pan, but I do keep a bit of boric acid powder scattered around the pan (diatomaceous earth would work too) and I never find any live ones down there as a result. These pans cost about $2 apiece,

HTH

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 02-11-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: to add price
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)