Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Section 18 Request

Does anyone know how Section 18 requests for the use of a miticide are done? Who requests them from whom? Is there a form? Is documentation required? A Section 18 for Hop Gaurd is needed in NY to renew approved use and sale of Hop Gaurd in NY.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: Section 18 Request

Mark,

Who worked to get the original Section 18? I believe they are typically done by larger grower groups or sometimes Extension. I have never been directly involved in the process. I'm sure you would need to document the need to for the special label.

Tom

Here is the EPA page on Section 18 approvals.
    http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/section18/

The key phrase is
    Emergency exemptions may be requested by a state or federal agency. Most requests are made by state lead agricultural agencies.
    It looks as though you need to start with NY Department of Environmental Conservation here:
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/298.html
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-10-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks. The person who has made these requests has retired from Cornell and has not been replaced. I have a call into NYS DEC. Thanks y'all.

On the Mann Lake Online Catalog Site it shows that only 6 States have Section 18 renewals for 2014. I wonder why?

I would think it would be Paul Cappys responsibility.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Mark,

Since a Section 18 had been previously approved it may be easier to re-submit a request. If a local organization would do some of the legwork it may be easier to find someone at CCE to 'do' the work. You might see if there is anyone else with experience submitting Section 18's. They tend to be more common with minor crops like fruits and vegetables.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I would think it would be Paul Cappys responsibility.
    It has always been something which Nicholas Calderone did. Nick is now retired and moved out of State. So I am doing what I can to see what can be done to get the renewal request passed on to the EPA by the NYS DEC.

In the mean time I am looking for and finding, thanks Rader, more info about Section 18s and how they are obtained. It does look like something which NY's Dept. of Ag should be involved in.

I talked to Paul Cappy this morning and may well be going back to him for further help and advice.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8528.html

Section 18 Emergency Exemption Filed with NYSDEC at least 105 days before decision is needed. 30 days to determine completeness. Files with EPA at least 60 days before decision is needed.

the dec needs to get the request, I have an email that says who did it last time but my mail system is down
    mike syracuse ny

If you ever figure out how to get someone to put in the request, even though the state has not updated any of there doc from last year the best I can see, you should also see about
    amitraz.

hopguard and amitraz were on the expedited emergency list

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/regulati...013/index.html

if I remember on MAQS's those are not section 18. apiguard I haven't found yet, got one of the containers around, I think it was also section 18, but still looking.

boy I'm glad I always buy enough in the fall for the following spring.
    mike syracuse ny

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/materials...f/pestprod.pdf

according to the dec as of 2/3/2014 amitraz, hopguard, and apiguard are still registered in N.Y., knowing how things are done here, I have this normal sinking feeling, that someone hasn't been doing their updates correctly.
    mike syracuse ny

Mike,
    I talked to a person at the DEC who told me that when she gets what she needs from Cornell she will forward that on to the EPA and expects approval of the request. I will contact her again and ask about the amitraz.

I will also be talking to the person at Cornell who has been working to formalize the request. I'll let you know when I know of the approval. Thanks for the links.

Thanks

Mark have you ever used Hopguard down south?

No. U?

I bought some two springs ago, but ended up handing it all over to Lynn as he needed to do emergnecy treatment to his queen yard. It's aweful expensive. Lynn said it made his bees run away from the strips after he put it in the hive.

Do we really need Hopguard in NY?

Would having it in NYS just add another option to the available mite treatments?

Personally I like Thymol treatments. Expensive but extremely effective. Though I still consider mixing it up a bit and using Hopguard as an early spring treatment while Im down south.

Why do you want it in NY?

Choice. That's the reason. So people have the choice.

Besides our wonderful apiguard what other "effiective" mite treatments do we have available here in NY?

If you need more votes for bringing Hopguard in let us know. Im not opposed to it, and am happy to support it, just curious on the motivation 2 years after it hit the market. As liberal of a state as NY is I was shocked it didnt instantly HOP on the Hopguard with section 18. I sent Paul Cappy an email the first year it was available and the reply I got back was we had enough miticides here for use. Apparently it also costs lots of MONEY to get it approved. hmmm. Interesting thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    If you need more votes for bringing Hopguard in let us know. Im not opposed to it, and am happy to support it, just curious on the motivation 2 years after it hit the market. As liberal of a state as NY is I was shocked it didnt instantly HOP on the Hopguard with section 18. I sent Paul Cappy an email the first year it was available and the reply I got back was we had enough miticides here for use. Apparently it also costs lots of MONEY to get it approved. hmmm. Interesting thought there.
    No votes are needed. It's just a matter of certain people doing their jobs, which it appears they are doing.

Motivation? For what? The seeking of Section 18 renewal?

Section 18 use permit aren't issued by NYS DEC or Ag&Mkts. EPA issues Section 18s. Individual States have to request the Section 18 for pesticides not released or approved by the EPA for use in all States.

"costs lots of MONEY to get it approved."? Maybe for the manufacturer/distributor, but not us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast