Default To Plant these Plants or not?

Hello Now I think I placed this question in the right place:}

Being New, was wondering is Datura( Devils trumpet) bad to plant or not for bee's and making honey?

or uh Nicotiana Tabacum or Nicotiana Rustica or any tobacco plants OK ?

What U think/experience?

Default Re: To Plant these Plants or not?

People who grow devils trumpet have experienced dark visions, disorientation, amnesia, blurred vision, dry mouth, and incontinence.

Ring spot virus that lives on tobacco plants has jumped to insects that might be a cause of CCD

So a no no for both and would be better off growing herbs, vegetables and fruit

I have heard tobacco honey is bitter. I live in KY where a lot is grown. This came from Kent Williams who has several hundred hives. I do not remember bees in the burley tobacco when we topped it. Hummingbirds but not bees.

I don't know why anyone would plant anything for bee forage. If you can plant enough of anything that would make a difference to honey production I can't imagine one can afford to, that it would be economically practical. Unless there was another use for what you planted, like hay.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't know why anyone would plant anything for bee forage. If you can plant enough of anything that would make a difference to honey production I can't imagine one can afford to, that it would be economically practical. Unless there was another use for what you planted, like hay.
    I dig...Thanks:}

Quote Originally Posted by Danpa14 View Post
    I have heard tobacco honey is bitter. I live in KY where a lot is grown. This came from Kent Williams who has several hundred hives. I do not remember bees in the burley tobacco when we topped it. Hummingbirds but not bees.
    I would believe Kent Williams. I heard he got out the business or is scaling-down, last year the club bought packages from him, none this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    Hello Now I think I placed this question in the right place:}

Being New, was wondering is Datura( Devils trumpet)
    or uh Nicotiana Tabacum or Nicotiana Rustica or any tobacco plants OK ?

What U think/experience?
    Datura is pollinated by night-flying Sphinx and Hawk moths (hence shape and color of the co-evolved flower).
    Nectar does not begin flowing until full dark. You can smell the very fragrant Datura on moist nights in the desert.
    The flower reabsorbs the nectar before dawn. No waste in the desert.

Cite: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21103484737803

Tobacco is typically pollinated by night-flying hawk/sphinx moths. Perhaps equip your bees with tiny headlamps so they can work at night.

A recent paper noticed an interesting tobacco plant strategy of switching to hummingbirds due to hawk moth caterpillar attack
    http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketsci...-switching-po/

My final comment: please compose your questions in standard English. I have no interest in "translating" whatever language "What U think" purports to be written in. Grump.
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 02-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post

My final comment: please compose your questions in standard English. I have no interest in "translating" whatever language "What U think" purports to be written in. Grump.
    Point taken Sir.

However; since communications IMHO falls on the eyes of the reader possibly you should consider deflating your ego?

Hopefully, my reply is close enough to standard English for you to understand my reply.

Peace be with you!

Again thanks for your reply:}