Default Western PA swarm Trappin???

So when should a western PA swarm trapper have his traps out? This will be my first year trappin and I was wondering when some of you Verterans of the sport begin to get your equipment out? I know that this is very relative to weather as well as other factors and it may not be an exact science. However I was hoping to get some basic ideas of when to start getting out there. What day/night temps, stage of bloom/nectar flow as well as other foliage should I be looking for. Any other markers I should b aware of would be a great help to a beginner such as myself, thanks!!!

Default Re: Western PA swarm Trappin???

I try to get mine hung by late March, or early April depending on the weather. I place mine on a family farm property along fence rows, or gas/power lines(these make good flyways). Getting them up shortly after the weather breaks provides more time for bees in the area to discover the traps before swarming begins. I caught 6 swarms out of 7 traps in 2013. Most were in May/June if I recall.

I trap in Indiana County.

PAHunter62

I'm not in PA, but I would recommend that you have your spots planned and your boxes ready by the middle of March, and then put a hanging day on the calendar and stick to it. Otherwise you will find that it is June and you have hung zero!

Plan on it taking three times longer to hang them than you think. Unless you are more organized than me, which is entirely possible!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post

Plan on it taking three times longer to hang them than you think. Unless you are more organized than me, which is entirely possible!
    I heard dat...lol

I thought Organization had something to do with the mafia?

I have NO Organizational skills foe shoe:}

I'll try and get mine in place some time this week here in Lizard Creek, La.:}