Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jigs for makign your own

Last week my table saw (contractor grade craftsman) decided to give up the fight.

I found a better quality craftsman with a cast iron table and standard parallel miter slots fro $50. I could not dream of finding this saw at that price. Other comparable saw where listed on craig's list starting at $275.

My old craftsman had flaky little custom miter slots so I was not able to make typical jigs and sleds.

I am now in the process of making jigs for the new saw and wanted to ask folks to post about the jigs they have for the saws. Mainly just gather as many ideas as I can to help me decide what to make for mine.

I am only concerned with jigs used to make hive boxes or frames.

Ripping for box sides and ends as well as width and thickness of top and bottom bars i simply do with the fence. For for speed accuracy and consistency I am thinking of making a jig.

All cuts to length for anything I use a radial arm saw and a stop block. no issues there.

Groves in both top and bottom bars will need a jig.

I am also now able to shape an entire 2X4 or 2X6 into the profile of an and bar and then simply slice off the individual bars with the radial arm saw. Any jigs for among those blocks are welcome.

Each block will be planed to the correct thickness won a jointer. I make the bottom and top bar notch with a dado blade on the table saw. I then form the recessed side of the bar on a jointer.

Mainly for the end bar block I am looking for ideas on a jig or sled to hold the block for the dado cuts on the ends. Must place the dado dead center on the end of the block constantly and reliably. So far I am working on a sled but it will be a beefy one.

I do a lot of the cuts for the top bar on the radial arm saw but am slowly building jigs etc to make them on the table saw. This one has a lot of cuts and almost all of them are up for suggestions.

As a side project I would like to look at and even attempt as many ideas as I can. I would like to eventually do a video series on methods of making your own equipment. not just one way to do it. but to demonstrate as many methods as I can find. From the guy that only owns a cheap circular saw to the full blown wood shop.
    Last edited by Daniel Y; 12-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Default Re: Jigs for makign your own

For endbar dados, one option is to use a variation on a tenon jig...lots of ways to make them depending on your saw...do an image search for ideas.
    They are super handy for all sorts of small controlled cuts through end grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Ripping for box sides and ends as well as width and thickness of top and bottom bars i simply do with the fence. For for speed accuracy and consistency I am thinking of making a jig.
    For making repetative cuts where you normally use the fence, (width of deeps,shallows, side rail bottom boards, frame rabbet, side of tops, etc, I like to make a pattern that anchors in the miter groove of the table saw, and acts as your fence without having to measure for each setting of the fence. This way, every time you use this pattern, the board will be the same as the previous time, and you do not need to measure each time to insure they are the same. I drill a hole in the pattern and hang it on a nail until I need it again.

Daniel... I think you already know this, but, just to be sure. The top photo shows the pattern and how the miter groove serves to make sure the pattern is the same every time. Used in lieu of a fence.

2d photo shows how I just hang them on the wall when not in use.

Pattern that shows miter groove anchor.jpg

Bee patterns.jpg

THANKS RADAR..... NOW IT WORKS.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-17-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: ADD 2 PHOTOS

Cleo, I understand what you are describing, it is how I did it on my old saw. but due to the miter slots not being usable I had to make it the size of the table on the saw. sort of like a telescoping cover for the table saw. And yes it reproduces the exact same cut even after having been removed and replaced on the saw.

Very important when you make overrun stock. the stuff that is left over needs to be able to fit the parts made during the next run. I always have extra top bars. end bars or something after I get done.

Default Re: Jigs for making your own

... wanted to ask folks to post about the jigs they have for the saws. Mainly just gather as many ideas as I can to help me decide what to make for mine.
    Daniel, here's some images of my box joint jig. It cost less than $30 to build, including the miter bars, baltic birch plywood, T-bolts, threaded handles, maple fittings, and glue. It is fully adjustable. The only other requirements are a table saw (you have that now), and a high quality stack dado blade.

Above - Box Joint Jig - from the front, showing the board support, the front guard, and the miter bar slides

Above - Box Joint Jig - from the back, showing the board support, hand guards, and adjustment screws

Below - Box Joint Jig - top side. Fully adjustable spacing with the board support, and a matching key to index the boards

Above -
    Box Joint Jig - Here's one of the hive body templates in place, showing where the cut would be made, and the indexing pin setting the finger spacing.

Even though the finger spacing is adjustable, it's usually a set and forget setup. The last image shows one of the templates I use to make sure everything is setup. In this case, it's one of the end board templates. I've cut many hundreds of hive bodies on this jig, and the only real wear point I've had is with the index key.

Cleo, I understand what you are describing,
    Daniel... Good, because, I still have not been able to attach a photo. Radar is trying to help.

Thanks to Radar I fixed it and can now upload a photo.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-17-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: add info

Cleo, This is not the most photo friendly group. Limits have to be set for the sake of the group but they also make it difficult for many to figure it out.
    type:
    [img] Address of the photo goes here [/img]

I was able to type the above on my keyboard. and that is the command for the internet to display an image.

So to find the address for the image you want it must first be in the internet somewhere. I am able to copy that address simply by right clicking on any photo and then clicking on "Copy image location". I found this page on the internet and decided I wanted to share the photo with all of you.
    http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/12/16/...e-die-off.html

Now that link takes you to the entire page. but I want the photo to appear right here so you can see it as you read my post.

now i get to see if my way actually works here. ....

Sweet it worked. sometimes it does not for various reasons.
    Okay while at the other page I right clicked the photo clicked copy image location then came back here to my post and typed the [img] thing. and then right clicked and clicked paste after that command. it placed the correct address for the image in between the commands. I then added the backslash img with brackets and now the internet knows to go looking for a picture to show you. which of course it is doing.

Now i still have no idea why it displays the little thumbnail attached thing at the bottom of the post. This is also just one way to get it done. but for this particular group it is the only way I have found to actually show a full size image.

I also realize it is by far easier to be there in person and just walk you through the process than it is to read it and understand it. I do not hold out a lot of hope that this little lesson does any good. maybe it will for someone else that comes across it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniel Y; 12-17-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Now after having done all the above. I have a photo of my new to me table saw that I would like to show everyone. Now I have built websites. Btu I cannot figure out how to get that photo to upload. most likely it is to large or something. I may have something set in my profile and don't know it that prevents me from uploading it. I don't know and honestly I have not spent much time figuring it out.

It most likely is to large and needs to be made smaller. I am not going to do all that. Now a better program for the forums could just re size it for you when you upload it. but this group does not seem to have that feature.

But since this is the internet it is very likely that someone somewhere has already posted a picture of a table saw just like mine. I just have to find it.

SO I searched craftsman table saws search through images of craftsman table saws until I found this.

Now that is not my saw but it is very close to it. And it lets me share with others what can be done if you work at it. I got that saw for $50. I good example of a decent shop does not have to bankrupt you.

Anyway best of luck in gettign the image thing figured out. you have a lot of things to share that pictures would be helpful with. Love your trap out. I have one of them housing a late swarm from last summer right now. they are doing well.

Spinner... Nice sled. The only real difference in mine is that on the rear of the saw I extended the floor of the sled, and made it thicker there, so the saw dado blade runs under the sled. That way there is no way you can get to the blade.

I would encourage anyone building a sled to extend the rear enough, and make it thick enough, so that when you push the sled forward, the blade is still enclosed below the sled. No danger of getting cut by the blade.

Daniel Y... Am I not seeing it, or, does that saw only have one miter groove. Mine, and Spinner's has two grooves that the sled slides in.

Box Joint sled.jpg

cchoganjr

Cleo, there are two miter slots. the fence is covering one in that photo. Very sweet feeding in comparison to my old craftsman contractor grade saw. I feel like I am in the big leagues. of course the wood moves easier than I am used to . resulting in a kick back with my first attempt to cut. took the shot right in the groin. nice move after all the posts I have made about kickback with the table saw.

So once again I will remind everyone.never stand in line with the wood you are cutting. your jewels will thank you.

I also agree with your buried blade thinking for any jig. The one I am working on now will not leave the blade exposed at any time. Hard to get cut by a blade you cannot touch.

I so need to get a camera. This idea is starting to sound like a lot of fun.

And yes Spinner. very nice jig. thank you for sharing it. It is a demonstration of the idea of takign the time to make a quality jig. it's pays off later.

I also agree with your buried blade thinking for any jig.
    For cutting the rabbet for the frame rest, my wood slides under a wooden shield so you cannot contact the blade with your hands. Also anchored in the miter groove for repitative cuts without measuring and using your fence. Hope this photo shows it

Deep rabbet pattern.jpg

For side rails of bottom boards, the board runs through a tunnel. As I feed one piece, it cuts and kicks the previous piece out.

cchoganjr

Cleo, your warnings about finger guards should be in bold, underlined, with flashing lights, and horns blaring. It cannot be emphasized enough.

I am over-careful about my fingers. It helps to hold my jig to see how its design has some inherent safety built-in. An hour of cutting box joints can cause some inattention and complacency - all bad around a rotating blade.

Rather than opting for a thicker base, I chose to place a guard farther away. If you look at the rear picture of my jig, you'll see a horizontal solid maple piece between the vertical braces that fully cover the saw blade slot to keep wandering fingers away from the blade. Unless someone deliberately wants to put them in there, the construction provides more than adequate guard from the blade and escaping shavings and dust.

Also, the vertical board support is purposely tall to add finger and hand protection. It is tall enough that in normal operation, your hands are nowhere near the blade. In fact, if you extend your fingers as far as possible, you will still be 3-4 inches from the blade.

Finally, in operation, I rarely extend the jig past the saw blade. The board being cut is about 4 inches from the rear edge of the bottom board, allowing a full box joint cut without the blade being exposed beyond the horizontal guard. I actually had it about 4 inches larger, but found it created other safety issues with reach. I also had a much thicker base, but found prefer the lower profile base, allowing the dado blade to not extend so far above the table.

Any suggestions are welcome. I've had enough requests that I'm going to put it into a sketchup file and post it for others. Let me know any specific changes you think are needed, and I'll consider them in the plans. PM me so we don't sidetrack this thread.

Spinner, where do you get those miter bars? I've always had to make mine out of hardwood, but those look much better.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

I used the 18" miter bar from Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. They are anodized aluminum and have width adjustment sliders. I also use UHMW strips for miter bars, but only if fully supported for their whole length.

Sidetrack all you want Spinner. that is why I started this thread. sleds and jigs add safety and I can search and sort to get the ideas.

Cleo. I know you have a whole assortment. keep them coming. I also use the blade cover and tunnel ideas. I also intend to use your handle making jig in three different configurations so far. One for the circular saw, one for the table saw and one for the radial arm saw.

Anyone that is willing to do sketch up drawings it would be much appreciated. I do them but will be a long time in getting them all drawn if I do it myself.

Daniel, still on safety. What do you do for the wood dust? I tried to use my shop vac hooked into the dust outlet on the sliding cut off saw, and the table saw and a mask. It doesn't work that well. I end up with a lot of dust in the shed. I have taken to dragging the table saw outside and working there, but am not sure that I want to drag everything outside every time.
    What are others doing that work? I don't anticipate making more than 20 boxes a year.

Adrian, I use the answer that most woodworkers, even serious ones, will not use. I have a tempest cyclone dust collector and 6 inch duct work in my shop. This was the result of over a year study on air movement and what will work as a minimum. I would be one that argues that shop equipment today does not even come with dust ports large enough to be effective. you cannot get what is needed with a shop vac and a 2 and a half inch hose. you cannot get the air movement needed with a 4 inch hose. It is 6 inch hose and 900 CFPM or you wasted your money.

I can go on and on about masks. post air filtration and such. but if you did not capture the dust as it was created. the dust collector failed. It does not good to wear a makes that when you remove it your are surrounded by the very dust you are attempting to avoid. it is coating the mask at that point. I could design a dust collector better than the one I use. but the manufacturing as well as cost prohibited it. My actual education in dust control came from Asbestos abatement training.

It is one of those topics that can bee argue endlessly though. But the final word is. did you collect the dust or not.

The cost of my system is well over $1000.

At the time I purchased it it was the only commercially made cyclone that was even close to adequate.

Daniel, thanks. I think I'm going to continue to drag everything outside. There is no point in me protecting my lungs by not smoking and screwing them up with wood dust!

Hear is a video on youtub.com. The guy has a series of video on how to make all the wooden ware for beekeeping.[URL="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrK2mG44wpQ"]

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Daniel, thanks. I think I'm going to continue to drag everything outside. There is no point in me protecting my lungs by not smoking and screwing them up with wood dust!
    As do we. No sawdust in our honey house. Set the saw outside with a forklift when the weather is right and get after it. We have a fairly protected south exposure where all of our sawing and spray painting take place.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast