Default Eight frame hive bodies as an aid in small hive beetle control

I currently use 2 double deep hive bodies (10 frame) for brood chamber. The two outside frames don't seem to be fully utilized. I am thinking that eight frame hive bodies would provide higher bee coverage of the outside frames and aid in keeping hive beetles in check.

Has anyone noticed any better control of hive beetles with eight frame equipment?

Default Re: Eight frame hive bodies as an aid in small hive beetle control

Quote Originally Posted by BeeRay View Post
    I currently use 2 double deep hive bodies (10 frame) for brood chamber. The two outside frames don't seem to be fully utilized. I am thinking that eight frame hive bodies would provide higher bee coverage of the outside frames and aid in keeping hive beetles in check.

Has anyone noticed any better control of hive beetles with eight frame equipment?
    The main thing is that when a frame has either stores or brood, but few bees, it is vulnerable to getting slimed by SHB's. 2 seasons ago a 10-frame deep was slimed by SHB larva. We pulled those frames and trashed them. We then put in beetle blasters, 2 per box.

Last summer I ran one 10-frame deep with 2 shallows on top and 2 eight-frame, two deeps. Did not use a single SHB trap, and did not get slimed. Made sure that there were a lot of bees. There were SHB's, but they were always greatly outnumbered on those frames with stores and/or brood.

I did pull one frame with stores out of one of the 8-frame boxes that had very few bees and a lot of SHB's. After shaking out the SHB's, I wrapped that frame and put it in the freezer. So to make a short story long, I cannot say that using 8-frame provides any better control vs. 10-frame.

I have both 8 frame and ten frame hives and have SHB in all them. Some hives seem to handle um better then other hives but cant tell any difference as far as the size of the box goes. I try to put full frames on the outside. A strong colony in which ever size box is the important thing. If the beetles take over it is probably because of some other problem first.

From the sound of it SHB are more of a problem in the south then varroa.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    From the sound of it SHB are more of a problem in the south then varroa.
    I wouldn't say that but they can be a real problem. The good part is you can control them without chemicals. A colony that uses alot of propolis seem to do a better job controling the SHB . Various traps help also. The blount end of the hive tool works good to squish em too. I have a few hives that keep em corralled on the inner cover so you can get um soon as you pull the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    I wouldn't say that but they can be a real problem. The good part is you can control them without chemicals. A colony that uses alot of propolis seem to do a better job controling the SHB . Various traps help also. The blount end of the hive tool works good to squish em too. I have a few hives that keep em corralled on the inner cover so you can get um soon as you pull the cover.
    I second that.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

I don't have any small hive beetle issues, so I can't comment on that directly, but the bees do occupy and use the space better in eight frame equipment. They tend to fill the whole width of the box with bees and combs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF