Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Setting Up Mating Nucs

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Is the 4th frame in the mating nuc a honey frame? It looked like one, but I didn't hear you call it out on the comb placement directions.

If it is a honey frame, do you save them from the year before? Or hope that you have some excess for spring make up?
    The comb against the feeder is a feed frame. By the time we catch the queen that comb has been turned to brood.

I save some, and I use some that they fill on maple and dandelion.. Some years there's no dandelion...like 2013, so I fill the feeders with thick syrup.

What is the frame that is far away form the feeder..

In the video you had a 4way mating nuc made up and all the 4th frame slots were already in place... The feeder was in the middle. You put new frame there, then closed brood, then open brood in third slot. What was in the 4th slot?
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

An empty comb or foundation

Question! What is the advantage of using a mating nuc versus using a deep frame with bees in a regular deep?

I'm assuming that talking about using a single deep comb? If that is the case...

More interior space. By stacking the combs the inner combs are more insulated.
    Easier to work. A single comb hive is only 1.5 inches wide making it difficult to stick your hand in there.

If your talking about in comparison to a 5 frame deep nuc.

Less resources. You can take the comb from one 5-frame nuc and make 2.5 mating nucs, which increases the number of potential queens.
    Smaller hives. It's easier to manage the small colonies and losing one isn't as dramatic. ((Within reason, the ultra small nucs require careful watching))

Downsides are that you need to maintain custom equipment. I plan to make standard supers with a divider, which will allow me to draw/store the comb on a normal hive.

Hope that helps.

Hi Kevin,

I guess what I am really wondering is this. If I can purchase an 8 frame deep for 7.50. Why would I spend the same amount or more on a mini nuc? I was thinking of just taking a frame of nurse bees and placing them in a deep and using that as the mating nuc. Thoughts? I suppose if I were raising queens for sale it would make sense, but if I need 8 frame boxes anyway for growing, what would the advantage of using a mating nuc instead? Thoughts?

If your just doing a queen here and there.. I don't guess it matters much.

Just keep in mind that a overloaded hive doesn't always accept the returning queen. I found that lighter stocked hives/nucs are more willing to let the queen back in without killing her.

If your looking to raise several queens, you might want to look at being as efficient as possible.

Ultimately it's your bee yard and you could raise them all in igloo coolers if that's what you want to do. *grins*

Good thought Kevin! Don the fat bee man has a neat design for baby nucs, think I'll make a few this week end. It's a one time cost, so making wise use of space makes sense, easier to transport as well.