Default Where do you Guys buy your hives from?

What do you think about this bee smart top http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1431. and this inner cover Ventilated Inner Cover http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=891

Default Re: Where do you Guys buy your hives from?

Check out mannlakeltd.com there catalog is on line.
    Matt....

Anyone thoughts on that top

I've got a couple of the Bee Smart Cover's, they're tough and hollow. Probably will last a long time. I filled mine up with urethane foam to increase the weight and insulating properties. I prefer wooden telescoping covers though- just my opinion. The top screen looks nice, I would get one with screen door size screen to keep out hive beetles. I can't tell the mesh size of the Dadant screen...

I make my equipment, so I have no experience with the items that you have shown. A couple of thoughts occurred though.

The outer cover may be light and more apt to be blown off the hive, is it strong enough to support a weight to prevent that?

I like an inner cover that will accommodate a jar of sugar syrup, and I'm not sure that this one will.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I like an inner cover that will accommodate a jar of sugar syrup, and I'm not sure that this one will.
    No but this one will: http://www.gabees.com/store/product_...df6dd8c6dfff50

I bought an Ultimate cover recently just to have one in my collection. Nice and lightweight to handle but would blow off without a weight on top, probably a good insulator. Might start looking pretty grungy if it gets dirty. I really wanted to see if it would be good for a comb honey draining tray but it is not, very corrugated inside. Pricier than a standard TC.

One thing to consider: If you remove supers, you'll need to set them down somewhere. An upturned wooden outer cover on the ground is great for this, and provides enough friction so that the super doesn't slip off (my whole yard is on a slope). I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the outer cover you are thinking about and in your setting, but it pays to think ahead.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    One thing to consider: If you remove supers, you'll need to set them down somewhere. An upturned wooden outer cover on the ground is great for this, and provides enough friction so that the super doesn't slip off (my whole yard is on a slope). I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the outer cover you are thinking about and in your setting, but it pays to think ahead.
    Good point - this cover is slightly bulging on the top. After years of sun exposure and it getting brittle, you could probably not use it as a bottom for a heavy pile of boxes. And it would slide down a grassy slope.

I get my hardware locally. We've got a supplier here in Chattanooga (Holcomb's out in Hixson).
    If you don't have a local place, start calling around local nurseries, ask if they'd be interested in carrying hardware.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

If nothing else the Bee Smart cover is robust. I just added a new super that is slightly warped so that two corners were not mating snugly with the box below. I put four 1 gallon bottles of water and 4 bricks on top and the cover supports this easily (40+ pounds).

never bought anything but frames...everything else is made by me.

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    never bought anything but frames...everything else is made by me.
    My local supply store does deep box kits for $25 out of good quality wood. I've looked up what it would cost me in time and materials, and I just buy the kits.

I used to balk more at paying for this sort of thing, until I sat down and started looking at it from an angle of "If I were doing this for somebody else, would I do it for this price?" and more often than not the answer is "Nope, I'd charge a lot more than that!"
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com