Question Cleaning up honey gate and rusty bolts on a used extractor

I was given a used (Dadant?) stainless extractor. Looks to be in good shape except for two rusted bolts on the basket (?steel) and a dirty honey gate.

I plan on giving it a good scrubbing with barkeepers friend and maybe run some Star San through it. BUT:

1) Is there a way to clean up those bolts?
    2) Should I try cleaning the honey gate or replacing it

Also, how modifiable are small tangential extractors? I would like to put a radial basket in and motorize it.
    2013, 6 hives, T

Default Re: Cleaning up honey gate and rusty bolts on a used extractor

The rusted bolts may not be stainless steel. Regardless, it they are true bolts (meaning removable), then you can replace them. You may or may not find stainless steel bolts locally, but they are certainly available online. If you aren't sure what size they are, match them up with local bolts that are regular steel to confirm the size.

If the honey gate is threaded into the body of the extractor, I'd unscrew the gate and soak it for a while.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks, Graham. I read your post and tool another look.

The honey gate appears to be a weldless fitting and I should be able to remove it for cleaning. I am not sure the bolts are removable. Is there anyway to treat them in place or do I have to drill them out?
    2013, 6 hives, T

Well, most bolts should have a head that fits a wrench. Carriage bolts have a round head that is not suited for a wrench, but then the nut on the other end would be exposed.

Drilling out a bolt should only be a last resort if you absolutely have to get it out. I would not recommend that in an extractor that is otherwise functional. I think cleaning the bolt with a stiff brush is the best place to start.

If the bolt is not stainless steel, and once cleaned you want to coat it, Camcote is one option:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/615/
    Graham

CLR will remove the rust. Get it at a grocery store or Lowes. A household cleaner.
    Best you replace the bolts with stainless steel ones.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post

If the bolt is not stainless steel, and once cleaned you want to coat it, Camcote is one option:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/615/
    I concur; Camcote is the way to go. Save yourself the trouble of drilling out bolts, matching them, and potentially screwing up the whole enterprise. Clean em up, coat them, and forget about it.

I am wondering if what you are describing as a bolt is actually a rivet? A rivet has a round head on one end, the other end may match, or it may be more lumpy. Rivets essentially have the lumpy end hammered in place, and are not something that should be removed without a very good reason.

Graham

I'm not sure. Hopefully these pictures help ID the part In the meantime, it seems like camcote would be a nice it.

Rusty basket bolts.jpg Rusty basket bolts (from inside).jpg
    2013, 6 hives, T

Here is a cleaned up shot of the backside:
    rivet.jpg

Its hard to say for sure, but from the photo it looks like a rivet, not a bolt. It could be that there is a Phillips head screw in there, not a rivet. Look to see if a Phillips driver will fit there. If not, I think the prudent course is to clean it then Camcote it.

Also, while the overall extractor metal may be stainless steel, it could actually be galvanized steel, not stainless. Nothing wrong with galvanized steel - there are millions of water pipes in the USA made from it - but some people prefer to coat galvanized with Camcote.
    Graham

You'd have to drill that out and replace.
    And then balance may become an issue if the others are not also replaced in a like manner.
    Probably not worth the trouble as it doesn't look that bad.

My vote is to clean it up good with a wire brush or steel wool and coat it following Camcote directions.

Nice graphics!

>And then balance may become an issue if the others are not also replaced in a like manner.
    It's a honey extractor, not a rocketship! Unbalanced frames of honey will be much more unbalanced than a few bolts slightly different size. I would grind/wire brush those bolt heads with a dremel tool or similar and then camcoat them.

I have never seen this style of rivet - amazing what one learns on BS. Thanks again everyone for the information. Based on everyone's advice, I'll clean it up with soap. hit the rush with borax and a wire brush, then coat it with Camcote.

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure the extractor is safe? I don't plan to be inspected (not required for small producers in VA), but will be selling this year's crop if there is one.
    2013, 6 hives, T

>It's a honey extractor, not a rocketship! Unbalanced frames of honey will be much more unbalanced than a few bolts slightly different size.
    How right you are.
    I try to balance my extractor with honey frames when extracting, doesn't everyone?

It looks like the one I got from my mentor, I had the basket sand blasted, gave it three coats of a industrial enamel, and a couple coats of camcote. Good to go.