Default Is it just dead brood or something more serious?

Several weeks ago, PDX had some 60+ degree days. I looked into my HTBH and found combs of honey with ... dead uncapped larvae underneath. I saw nothing to indicate disease, no ropyness or sign of waxmoth. Did the hive just stop caring for the brood due to weather? lack of pollen? My books don't seem to address this.
    Also, I 'm leaving the comb in the hive so the bees can access the honey but will they clean out the comb?
    This colony swarmed mid June and then got a late start given the newly hatched queen.

Default Re: Is it just dead brood or something more serious?

The bees will clean up the dead.

Sounds like the brood just froze, and the bees haven not got around to cleaning them out because of the cold weather. Queens will still lay small amounts of eggs in the winter. Sometimes they freeze when it gets cold and the cluster contracts off of them causing them to die.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    Sounds like the brood just froze, and the bees haven not got around to cleaning them out because of the cold weather. Queens will still lay small amounts of eggs in the winter. Sometimes they freeze when it gets cold and the cluster contracts off of them causing them to die.
    I agree, without a picture my best guess is there were not enough bees to cover all the brood.