Default Air ride recomnedations wanted?

Hey all.

Looking for information anyone might have on air ride equipping our package hauling trailer. Last year we added a new insulated tandem Featherlite car hauler with dual air conditioners to haul packages for delivery out of state. After a little reflection I determined that even though it has torsion axles the ride was a little rough and we ought to put some air ride equipment underneath the bees to not only keep them cool but happy.

Anyone done such a trick on any trailer they have for either bees or forklifts or their favorite sprint car? Looking for advice on which direction I should go.

Default Re: Air ride recomnedations wanted?

What is you car hauler rated weight ? How much can trailer and cargo weigh according to the manufacture? Say it is rated to 10,000lbs but with a load of bees, the trailer and bees weight 5,000lbs. In that condition the suspension is "stiff". Bad ride. Suspensions are designed to work best at or near rating. Ever notice and empty utility trailer bouncing behind a pick up? Race cars can weigh up to 3,000lbs. Two car hauler? Three? Stacker, upper and lower deck? Decide if bee packages weigh as much as cars. 3lbs packages round up to 4 for cage and feed can times number of packages would be my guess. Experiment with adding "weight" to bee "load. Also some reduce air pressure in tires to soften ride.

Keith

I totally agree with kejramer, most importantly though never add air bags to an existing suspension unless you're trying to add suspension. Obviously your original spring suspension will catch the weight of the load as the air bag "rebounds" (and they do big time) to road movements and the end result will be no better of a soft ride, only a more expensive one... Air bag kits such as Ride Rite are not true air ride, they're only the "better" suspension assist for heavier loads because once you're done you can lower the air pressure right down and get your smooth ride back.

The last time I was red neck trailer in Fowler CA they had a air bag retrofit for the tork flex axles just for that purpose. I have a 12 foot with tandem tork flex axles loaded with bees rides great with supers not so great.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's