Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds And The Reason Will Surprise You

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Who are these farmers and what is failing them that they have no control over?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/bu...anted=all&_r=0

It's not that they have no control over it. It's that unforeseen consequences (herbicide resistant weeds) have ended up making things worse rather than better. So now there's a sort of herbicide arms race. For example, seed companies are getting approval to stack their GMO seeds with multiple herbicide resistance, and they're advising farmers to buy more varieties of herbicide to deal with resistant weeds. It's great for them-- they get to move more product.

Not so great for farmers. The amount of Roundup required to control weeds has steadily risen over the last few years, so that application rates are much heavier now than they were when Roundup ready crops were first introduced. It would be naive to expect that the same thing won't happen again with the additional and less benign herbicides that will be required to control roundup resistant weeds.

2,4-D is poised to step up, since Dow AgroSciences is developing resistance to this herbicide in their new GMO varieties.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gmo-...oval-1.2483195

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the sort of treadmill that just keeps going faster until you go flying off, no matter how fast you run.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Round-up Ready Soybeans patent expires this year (2014). Generic version of the Monsanto monopoly will come on market (and the replanting restrictions to individual farmers will end). The cost of the technology will plummet.
    Don't worry. Since Roundup ready crops are becoming useless, new GMOs resistant to other herbicides will replace them in the profit picture.

It'll be fine.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

It's not that they have no control over it. It's that unforeseen consequences (herbicide resistant weeds) have ended up making things worse rather than better

What is frequently mis-understood or just ignored is that the herbicide resistance is to roundup, not the other available herbicides. All of the herbicides that were used on the various crops before are still available. So a farmer can and should use the same herbicides he used before roundup to rotate and to control the resistant weeds. It is nearly impossible for species to develop resistance to multiple modes of action. So the release of 2-4D and dicamba is a good thing in that it should control resistance. If the rotations are done between these resistance technologies the problems should be reduced, but there has to be rotation between the modes of action.
    Dave

A little perspective may be in order here. The alarm bells about roundup resistance seems to be ringing the loudest from those individuals and groups who have already made their opposition to gmo's quite clear. Farmers have dealt with herbicide weed resistance since, probably, the year after 2-4-D was first introduced. The fact that there are weeds not easily controlled by glyphosate isnt a terribly dire situation. I talked recently with a close friend, and one of the brightest people I know, that farms thousands of acres in central Minnesota in addition to owning a farm service business that applies the whole range of fertilizers, and pesticides. He said they currently look at glyphosate as an excellent grass control product with the benefit that it controls most all broad leaves as well. Its limitations are that there are a few resistance issues and because there is no residual effect it dosent control late emerging weeds that can pop up under the crop "canopy". Not a big issue in his mind as there are many effective and economical alternatives that can control those specific weed problems. The point is that the term "super weeds" which has great dramatic effect isnt akin to an old B grade horror flick threatening all man kind. Its just another farming challenge but one that has easily applied solutions.
    Fear not folks, if all else fails farmers can always replace chemical control with the ole mechanical tillage methods of multiple passes through the field, disturbing and drying the soil with each pass, burning incredible amounts fuel in the process. And lets not forget about all the resulting erosion issues that we used to deal with years ago. Remember? That was like sooooooo 1970.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    It's that unforeseen consequences (herbicide resistant weeds) have ended up making things worse rather than better.
    Do you even understand chemical use in agriculture? None of this is unforeseen. Resistance to herbicides is well known and farmers manage it according by rotating their herbicides as well as crop rotation practices and tillage management practices. You look quite foolish crying about the end of agriculture as we know it. We still have lots tools in our basket, including the good old tiller and when roundup does run its course, we can resume tilling the land once again.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

China announced they no longer accept GMO corn from the U.S. We export much of our corn to them and other countries. So...wonder if this trend of other countries regulating and placing band on GMO, leaves less export opportunities. HOW ABOUT SOIL MANAGEMENT? quit putting chemicals into the ground! As for less corn fed beef...thanks to GMO beef..the list goes on.

China makes demands until they go hungry,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We have a big field thoroughly infested with PigWeed (Nasty Stuff). Infestaton happened over the last 2 years. As soon as it warms up the field will be thoroughly tilled and then a surface adhering herbicide will be applied Must be the first time in 10 years that the land has been tilled. The PigWeed is not due to Glycophosphate - it's just a tough, voracious, weed. The field is 80 acres.... so 800 acres has avoided tillage. Have any idea how much diesel it takes to till 800 acres, if nothing else... think of the environment.

These arguments always become political so quick....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Keyboard farmers. They don't know what they don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You look quite foolish crying about the end of agriculture as we know it. .
    When did I do that? You look quite foolish claiming I'm saying something I never said. What I said was that Roundup resistant weeds have become a problem for some farmers. Is that really a hard concept to grasp?

Yes, there are plenty of ways to deal with weeds besides Roundup, and some of them do not involve developing resistant weeds. The thread is about GMO crops, and one of the problems with GMO crops is that they have led to excessive use of one weed control system. I mean, if you plant Roundup ready corn or beans or cotton, you're probably going to use Roundup to control weeds, otherwise what's the point in paying a premium for those seeds? Most of the beans grown in this country are Roundup ready. What do you think that might mean about the weed control system used for those beans?

Monsanto is famous for placing print ads telling farmers Roundup was "the only weed control you'll ever need."

Apparently they were wrong.

It's true, I'm not a farmer, but I come from a long line of farmers. In fact, some of my ancestors taught some of your ancestors how to grow corn.

That may have been a mistake.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    In fact, some of my ancestors taught some of your ancestors how to grow corn.

That may have been a mistake.
    a mistake that breeding efforts brought Canada a cold climate corn? ... what did I say about sounding foolish?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Keyboard farmers. They don't know what they don't know.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Why don't I see these weed choked soybeans. Across my front yard is a field of approximately 1000 acres, all GMO -RR- Neonics. My bees don't die, between the rows is a clean as a whistle. It seems like I should see at least some sign of these problems. I mean, we debate them all the time here on BeeSource.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

hpm08161947, the answer lies in post #89. I hear exactly what your saying.

The fact is that RR technology is so widely popular, because it works!

Not so good for beekeepers because RR cropping has cleaned up all those bee loving weeds within the crop rows!!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Not so good for beekeepers because RR cropping has cleaned up all those bee loving weeds within the crop rows!!
    Yup... so true..... wander through that 1000 acres and you will be hard pressed to find a single bee........ alas.

RR cropping has allowed farmers to achieve their ultimate goal, clean fields!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

RR cropping has allowed farmers to achieve their ultimate goal, clean fields!
    Didn't DDT do that too
    Think about it....Buy American

a mistake that breeding efforts brought Canada a cold climate corn? ... what did I say about sounding foolish?
    Whoosh!

But at least you tried.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

proof positive that farmers are making to much money!!

http://screen.yahoo.com/inspiration/...232632077.html
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345