Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds And The Reason Will Surprise You

And lots of children starving every day in this world. I'm glad that farmers raise the crops they do. A mule and 40 acres doesn't go very far.

[QUOTE=hpm08161947;1057103]You know every time you catch a viral infection , you have a possibility of experiencing a transgenic experience. Not a good thing, but it happens naturally, no matter what we do. If you get lucky, it could be a great thing...[/QUOTE

And if you're unlucky?

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Don't these guys with weed problems ever alternate herbicides? Alternate fields and crops? Plow or till every few years. Weeds do not seem to be major problem.
    Monsanto is working on 2,4-D and dicamba Ready crops. Yay! That will surely be good for the bees, amiright?

Maybe you don't understand what the RoundUp Ready system is.

Anyway, according to actual farmers, this is a big problem. They've invested heavily in the system, and it's failing them. Too bad for them, I guess.

A little reading matter, if you're actually interested in the problems of farmers.

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agric...uperweeds.html

Just to be fair and balanced:

http://www.monsanto.com/weedmanageme...dBiotypes.aspx

And a quote from the Monsanto page:

When a weed is known to be resistant to glyphosate, then a resistant population of that weed is by definition no longer controlled with labeled rates of glyphosate. Roundup agricultural herbicide warranties will not cover the failure to control glyphosate-resistant weed populations.
    So farmers have that going for them, which is nice.

But I'm just a keyboard farmer. What would I know, right?
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    wanta work for $5 per day?
    na ya gotta do better than that, the statistics say the average non worker in N.Y. gets $45,000 for not working, I'm trying to work my way up to that level with bees.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

wow.......i grew up on a farm continuously in the family since 1713, that's when we got the deed anyway probably actually a couple of years longer. a couple of my brothers still run it and a couple of us bought our own and stared from scratch. many of you have no idea how hard it really is. farming has never been easy. it has always been commercial or you will not be in it for long. wow..... are a lot of us today a long way from reality or what?

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    I think one of the reasons you big farmers are defending what you do is.....what would you do if you could not drive around in a big tractor that drives itself. you don't really care that your feeding milllions of people cheap food because why would that be something you would be proud of. I bet if this generation of farmers had to farm like the farmers of the early 1900s you probably would not even want to farm. do you big farmers ever think about how easy you have it. you always say we don't get it. where does all this food come from. well take away your tractor and your chems and your hybrid seed and how good of a farmer would you be?? I can only hope that cheap food goes away sooner rather than later. do you know what happens to people that eat cheap food. they don't get smarter I can tell you that for sure. and just for the record..im not very smart. I work hard to make up for what my brain may lack. I do know that some one that works hard to eat is far better off than some one that eats for free. there are way to many people on this earth eating for free.
    I guess that we now have the answers to all the worlds problems........let's blame the Farmers......we all know its easy work in a big tractor.......WOW, all my relatives that farm will be happy to hear this world saving information.

I bet if this generation of farmers had to farm like the farmers of the early 1900s you probably would not even want to farm. do you big farmers ever think about how easy you have it. you always say we don't get it. where does all this food come from. well take away your tractor and your chems and your hybrid seed and how good of a farmer would you be??
    I can't explain in words the level of pride I take in my farm. That same level of pride would be exactly the same if I were driving a work horse turning sod or carting my honey boxes behind a team on a hay wagon....

Hey mnbeekeeper, how would you like to pull honey without the use of our modern day electricity? Lots of problems associated with pulling off the grid. I bet if you were to beekeeper as they did in the early 1900's that old hand crank would sure get tired. Heck, I bet you drive to your beeyards with a truck,.? Nice feature to have in your operation.

>>I bet you dont ever think about how easy you have it, well take away your electricity and truck and see how good of a beekeeper would you be??<<
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I can't explain in words the level of pride I take in my farm. That same level of pride would be exactly the same if I were driving a work horse turning sod or carting my honey boxes behind a team on a hay wagon....

<
    And from what I have seen of your farm from your website, you have plenty of reason to be proud!
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Well, those weeds that have become roundup resistant have 'naturally' evolved their own resistance.

There's no evidence of genes jumping from GMOs to weeds.
    Really?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...fits-to-weeds/

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ubles-its.html

http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/fac...ransgenic.html
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Yes, really.

Canola hybrids aren't such a big surprise. Cross pollination between GM canola and a wild relative. No 'jumping genes'.

RR resistant Pigweed is naturally resistant. No GMO involved. Just glyphosate resistance. There are other weeds that have also become resistant to glyphosate 'naturally'.
    Last edited by WLC; 02-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.

well take away your electricity and truck and see how good of a beekeeper would you be??<<[/QUOTE]

but I could still produce honey and run my business, could you still run your 3k acre farm with mules. good luck with that. the only reason I jumped into this is because you big farmers think your way is the only way.

ian, your on here everyday. maybe have a little to much free time on your hands. that proves my point right there. if your farming practices were harder like they used to be I don't think you would be wasting time on here all day everyday..

the farmers that take care of the land and give back to the land and sell to their friends and neighbors are great, but the ones that only take from the land and sell what they take to china are not good for anything I care about.

the only reason I jumped into this is because you big farmers think your way is the only way.
    I don't know why anybody thinks that anybody thinks that way. We all do what works for us. I could care less if anybody does anything the way I do. I tell people not to. Do it your own way and be happy.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

the farmers that take care of the land and give back to the land and sell to their friends and neighbors are great, but the ones that only take from the land and sell what they take to china are not good for anything I care about.
    The world is more complicated than that. I don't believe you really think what you said. AgriBiz is a complex subject, we have no choice but to feed the world.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

ian, your on here everyday. maybe have a little to much free time on your hands. that proves my point right there. if your farming practices were harder like they used to be I don't think you would be wasting time on here all day everyday..
    Oh and do I love chit chatting here! Sure beats working!!
    mnbeekeeper, your argument is ridiculous,

how many hours in a 24 hour day do you spend not working? I guess your point was that,... farmers should not have spare time, and some of that bit of spare time is not allowed to be spent on beesource? Please, argue your point further LOL
    Last edited by Ian; 02-09-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hey Ian, how much snow you got on the ground, better start farming it!

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Ian could be out in his barn polishing his harnasses, or maybe sharpening his plow?

Most likely he is studying the commodites market.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Ian could be out in his barn polishing his harnasses, or maybe sharpening his plow?
    ha ha ha, seriously, there are days I wish farming was the way it use to be 80 or 90 years ago, heck of a lot easier! These days there is so much technical crap and a CONSTANT push to get more work done in a day that it can wear on a fella...

we are half way through calving 400 cows right now. This extreme cold and wind has created a bit of a challenge this year keeping the calves from freezing! All is going well, but it sure takes a lot of WORK

mnbeekeeper, I rule my own day. how are you doing with that?
    Last edited by Ian; 02-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

>>But I'm just a keyboard farmer. What would I know, right?<<

right

>>Anyway, according to actual farmers, this is a big problem. They've invested heavily in the system, and it's failing them. Too bad for them, I guess.<<

its not failing them...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

>>But I'm just a keyboard farmer. What would I know, right?<<

right

>>Anyway, according to actual farmers, this is a big problem. They've invested heavily in the system, and it's failing them. Too bad for them, I guess.<<

its not failing them...
    So what you're telling me is that those farmers who say it's failing them are just lying?

Good to know. I'm totally reassured.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Who are these farmers and what is failing them that they have no control over?

Round-up Ready Soybeans patent expires this year (2014). Generic version of the Monsanto monopoly will come on market (and the replanting restrictions to individual farmers will end). The cost of the technology will plummet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast