Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds And The Reason Will Surprise You

I agree Barry.
    But the momentum of that pendulum weakens as "how food is produced" starts to cost more.

Take my packer for example. We sell in a coop, 100% Canadian sourced honey, needless to say our production standards are much the same as the US production standards, which give us a high quality product.
    But put that product on the shelf beside honey from cheaper priced blended product from Argentina, a product where who knows where it originated and the production standards behind it, and it will out complete my product most of the time.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Don't you think that consumers care more that food is produced that how food is produced?
    I don't think so , Mark. That is how we got to this place, consumers caring more that food is produced. Now that we have an abundance of cheap food, consumers, especially young consumers, are becoming equally if not more interested in the how.
    Regards, Barry

thats the key point, "Now that we have an abundance of cheap food"

today I can afford a more expensive coffee, I think I'll support "such and such"
    today I cant afford a more expensive coffee, I think I'll just get what I can afford
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

[QUOTE=Barry;1056729]But that pendulum is swinging evermore to the "how food is produced" side.[/QUOT

I agree it is swinging more to the health and concerned side. As beekeepers we should be right behind this. There are plenty of non gmo growers who get as high of yields. When i worked as a soil consultant intern we had guys doing all kinds of quote impossible stuff. You just have to approach farming differently. Use higher quality seed that you breed yourself, minerals Fertilizers and sprays that build the soil not nuke it to pieces. As my grandpa says your either growing or dying. Might take a while to know which but time will tell. At least those who grow crops that are non gmo and without roundup can know that they are feeding people food without small amounts of poisonin them and that the bees are better for it

H

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I watched a program on TV the other night about feeding America and the way we farm today compared to our grandparents way. Only 2% of the population are farming. The overall feeling one got from watching it was bleak, but near the end several key players admitted that the shift is starting to happen. Less corn feed beef is being consumed forcing that industry to start moving in a new direction. A lot more produce is being grown in city/urban areas that locals are buying, etc. There is a shift starting to take place and eventually how we farm will also have to adjust.
    Well said, we in the UK are opposed to GM and are frightened of the thought of them being legal for human consumption. A fast growing trend is developing where small farmers markets are popping up everywhere so small producers can sell their top quality produce.

[/QUOTE=Kamon Reynolds;1056764]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But that pendulum is swinging evermore to the "how food is produced" side.[/QUOT

I agree it is swinging more to the health and concerned side.

H
    Let's take this notion to it's extreme. Pretend the pendulum has swung all the way across the arc. Organic Farms are the Law of the Land. How much of the world could we feed? Would the world population need to be cut in half? What is the maximun size organic farm that one man can tend?

Is the Malabar Farm the answer.....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I don't think the pendulum can swing that far to the other side now that we are feeding so many. I think it will move back towards a balance of quality and quantity.
    Regards, Barry

[QUOTE=Barry;1056809]I don't think the pendulum can swing that far to the other side now that we are feeding so many. I think it will move back towards a balance of quality and quantity.[/QUOTE

I agree, where we differ is I do not think the pendulum can swing very far and still feed a good portion of the globe.

REDWOOD.... can the UK feed itself without importing food?
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

there must be a better way than spraying chemicals on our food

Quote Originally Posted by REDWOOD View Post
    there must be a better way than spraying chemicals on our food

I think we all agree that organic farming would be best, the problem is that if the UK were forced to use this method over 1/2 of you would starve or be forced to immigrate (hasn't this happened before? )

The idea that organic farming is chemical free is ludicrous. They just spray different chemicals, and often more of the chemicals because they are so ineffective. There are some really toxic plant derived chemicals. After all they evolved in the plants to prevent grazing, and disease. Another point these chemicals have not been studied to see what their long term effects are.
    Dave

Not if done properly again everyone assumes that just cause it iis natural it is not aas productive. First let's stop using corn for ethanol and cows and now we have freed up most of our land. Cows eat grass just fine. And it takes less time and Inputs to grow grass. Ethanol is a joke and seriously crops like ssweet potatoes produce twice as much ethanol per acre than corn. If it was about saving Americans money it could have happened along time ago.

I grow the majority of our food off of a garden 50 ft by 125 ft that feeds 6 people a minimum of 75% of our vegetable food for the year. I grow our own chicken ( main source of income) on a space the size of the garden. Sure wsupplement grain for the cchickens and buy groceries but it is not even close t the point of can we feed the country?More of can the people feed themselves?

The answer is no. It is a culture problem not a production or population problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Reynolds View Post
    The answer is no. It is a culture problem not a production or population problem.
    I think you need to do some recalculation based on a world of 10 billion people and limited arable land. First consider the manpower required by this type of farming. Big Gardening won't do it.

kamon we grow most of our own food too, but the time and energy inputs would put a commercial guy in the hole. I started the organic thing in the 60s, and I have tried many of the Robert rodale tricks. Some worked and worked well. We farm 18 acres and due to the types of crops we grow we do not have chemical options and have to use the "organic approach". My wife and I work our tails off trying to keep up, and we loose money right and left. If I had the GMO option I would switch in a moment.
    Dave

There still are some small farms out there.. not many. In the last 100 years there was a huge shift.

Who's to say it will only be big ag?

There is an interest in how food is produced- but for many ethics is limited by their pocketbook. Right now- granted- it is mostly just trend. Some stick with it, many bail (which is why some cities are having issues with abandoned and surrendered chickens, rabbits, and goats.) Price hikes in food, while honestly warranted, will drive more to grow their own in ernest. Part is due to awareness, part is due to health decline. Frankly.. most have absolutely no clue about what they're eating.

Strip cropping, no-till, cover cropping... those are methods primarily used in organics- and making their way into conventional.

Sprays in organics is the last resort.

Big ag can't keep up.. (still that 300 bushel acre is a dream).. it's all heavily fossil fuel dependent from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    REDWOOD.... can the UK feed itself without importing food?
    The US doesn't feed itself w/out importing food. I can't imagine what percent of England's food is imported.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

No.. The UK can't. They had a heck of a time during WW2 and since then the population increased quite a bit. As well overfishing is a huge issue. They can make a pretty big dent.. but.. our subsidized corn is so stupidly cheap it's imported.

Kamon.. no animals is not a solution. Better utilizing them would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The US doesn't feed itself w/out importing food. I can't imagine what percent of England's food is imported.
    But we could if we did not export so much.

Maybe if we didn't want strawberrys in December.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

In long run, one thing that might help would be eating more insects and primary producers (plants). 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is something we pay no attention to when every other day we eat pork chops. Maybe this is where honey bees come in.... fried brood.... quite a delicacy in some quarters. The further down the food chain (toward the sun) we eat the less energy we waste to entropy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast