Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds And The Reason Will Surprise You

A growing number of farmers are abandoning genetically modified seeds, but it’s not because they are ideologically opposed to the industry.
    Simply put, they say non-GMO crops are more productive and profitable.

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/02/0...will-surprise/

Default Re: Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds And The Reason Will Surprise You

Interesting read. I hope it catches on as much as the article leads us to believe...but I suspect that, much like our treatments for varroa, GMO-producing companies will create new pesticides and [new pesticide]-ready crops to go with them. Like beekeepers, some farmers will use them and some won't.

I will not argue the article , but for our farm it's the huge cost of buying hybrid seeds (which is what a lot of RR seeds are) that is making us think twice about growing it. With the depressed commodity prices margins start to get thin. Hybrids still out perform traditional stock no doubt, but if we are working with negative margins then we must cut those costs .

Can you provide a link to the article? never mind there it is in front of my blind face!
    Last edited by Duncan Thacker; 02-06-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: DUMB

I am little to say surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by THE ABOVE REFERENCED ARTICLE View Post
    “Five years ago the [GMO seeds] worked,” said farmer Christ Huegerich, who along with his father planted GMO seeds. “I didn’t have corn rootworm because of the Bt gene, and I used less pesticide. Now, the worms are adjusting, and the weeds are resistant. Mother Nature adapts.”
    Man plans and God laughs (along with Mother Nature)

There is as much talk about resistance as there is about cost effectiveness. Regardless of the reasons GOOD RIDDENCE !!!!!

There was a study awhile back by an actual scientist. http://www.producer.com/2013/05/no-y...ids-scientist/ In any case I hope it catches on. In Ontario sadly untreated seeds are not available to farmers.

Ian, I love reading the posts from the keyboard farmers.
    Last edited by Haraga; 02-09-2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    A great many people seem to feel that if it works on my .25 acre organic garden then it should work in Agribusiness. The difference between .25 acres and 4000 acres of soybeans is far more than just "Scale". I wonder if they realize how much time is spent by the average farmer hedging on the commodities market? I am pretty sure that most of these well-meaning city people are convinced that the worlds food problems could be solved by a simple conglomeration of these .25 acre organic gardens.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    The difference between .25 acres and 4000 acres of soybeans is far more than just "Scale".
    but if we broke up that 4000 acres into say 100 acres each couldn't we put all those people that can't find jobs back to work?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Maybe. If they would work. There are lots of Americans who are American'ts. They don't know how to work. I don't know how to work. Not like the migrant workers I know of. Not like a number of beekeepers I know of.

Do you really think that there are enough people like my Uncle Gordon and Grandpa Porter who worked a 200 acre farm in Iowa last generation?

Besides, the land is worth too much for anyone to be able to buy and work such a small piece of productive farm land. Most places. And it also keeps getting covered up by concrete and asphalt for parking lots and highways.

Some of the once most productive crop land, bottom land, in Cherokee County, NC got covered up by a 4 lane highway right down the middle of the valley, instead of along the side which would have left most of it available for cultivation. Happens all of the time.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    A great many people seem to feel that if it works on my .25 acre organic garden then it should work in Agribusiness. The difference between .25 acres and 4000 acres of soybeans is far more than just "Scale". I wonder if they realize how much time is spent by the average farmer hedging on the commodities market? I am pretty sure that most of these well-meaning city people are convinced that the worlds food problems could be solved by a simple conglomeration of these .25 acre organic gardens.
    Of course they could feed the world. Small farms are more productive, even if less efficient. Just because, as a society, the USA ended up concentrating food production in the hands of a very marginal portion of its population, does not mean that this is the only model that works.

Less efficient farms may produce more costly farms, due to lack of scale economies, greater labor needs, and higher capital : profit ratios, but as stated in my previous post, this just leads to higher prices, not less crops. Small farms feed most countries. And their poverty is usually more a result of "developed" country protectionism and dumping than of their own performances.

There certainly are a number of advantages to large farms, namely affordable food, but to claim that it is the only way the world can be fed is quite a leap. And don't forget that these huge farms rely on the fact that in North-America, fossil fuels are cheaper than labor, and that the government heavily subsidizes the industry. When fossil fuel prices will rise enough, and if government subsidies cease, that huge farm agribusiness model will crumble.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    but if we broke up that 4000 acres into say 100 acres each couldn't we put all those people that can't find jobs back to work?
    wanta work for $5 per day?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    wanta work for $5 per day?
    na ya gotta do better than that, the statistics say the average non worker in N.Y. gets $45,000 for not working, I'm trying to work my way up to that level with bees.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Well, those weeds that have become roundup resistant have 'naturally' evolved their own resistance.

There's no evidence of genes jumping from GMOs to weeds.

That's what usually happens when you use the same product, year after year. The pests become resistant.

That's one reason why farmers switch to other types of seeds, and then use their own choice of pesticide products.

Even Monsanto is getting into the 'organic seed' game.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Well, those weeds that have become roundup resistant have 'naturally' evolved their own resistance.

There's no evidence of genes jumping from GMOs to weeds.
    Really?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...fits-to-weeds/

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/sh...ubles-its.html

http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/fac...ransgenic.html
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Yes, really.

Canola hybrids aren't such a big surprise. Cross pollination between GM canola and a wild relative. No 'jumping genes'.

RR resistant Pigweed is naturally resistant. No GMO involved. Just glyphosate resistance. There are other weeds that have also become resistant to glyphosate 'naturally'.
    Last edited by WLC; 02-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    you and me both! lol
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think one of the reasons you big farmers are defending what you do is.....what would you do if you could not drive around in a big tractor that drives itself. you don't really care that your feeding milllions of people cheap food because why would that be something you would be proud of. I bet if this generation of farmers had to farm like the farmers of the early 1900s you probably would not even want to farm. do you big farmers ever think about how easy you have it. you always say we don't get it. where does all this food come from. well take away your tractor and your chems and your hybrid seed and how good of a farmer would you be?? I can only hope that cheap food goes away sooner rather than later. do you know what happens to people that eat cheap food. they don't get smarter I can tell you that for sure. and just for the record..im not very smart. I work hard to make up for what my brain may lack. I do know that some one that works hard to eat is far better off than some one that eats for free. there are way to many people on this earth eating for free.

And lots of children starving every day in this world. I'm glad that farmers raise the crops they do. A mule and 40 acres doesn't go very far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast