Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Latest varroa cure by BAYER

No more chemicals for the hive from BAYER. Ironic!
    http://beecare.bayer.com/media-cente...t-varroa-mites

Default Re: Latest varroa cure by BAYER

It wasn't clear, does it kill mites already inside the hive too? I'd be skeptical of the efficacy of this thing and wouldn't use it when honey is being made, but it might be good for hives not being used to make honey.

Goat

No more chemicals? As stated, the entire premise of the article and the revolutionary "varroa gate" is to insure (and I quote) "fresh supplies of the chemical are immediately released from the core of the plastic strip to its surface, ensuring long term protection". So each bee passing through this device is inoculated with a pesticide to spread throughout the hive, the wax and food stores. Gee, what a clever little device. Bayer makes chemicals and pesticides. Let us all not soon forget where they make their money from.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

One of these things won't be going into my hives.

"This transfers a mite poison (acaricide) to the bee and kills any mites it may be carrying."

I wish it did not need a chemical. I don't want chemicals in my bee stuff.

I often wondered if something like this could be tight enough to scratch the mite off the bee but that is such an obvious strategy I figured that it wouldn't work and if it did the mite would still be alive unless it dropped into oil or something.

I'm glad that people are working on such things even if it is still chemicals that make it work.

BAYER is the company that makes NEONIC's. That's the stuff that is killing bees by the millions!
    Be aware of that when you hear BAYER is "helping bees". Propaganda

Is the product imidocloprid as in advantage?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

i don't think this particular application is meant to reverse infestion rather to guard against it, a "gate" a "barrier" of protection.

Looks like bees won't be able to get pollen inside.

I just wonder when bees are coming in so fast how effective it will be and how much time til they start chewing it up

looks alot like a Mouse Guard to me. I wonder about mites already in the hive.

> Looks like bees won't be able to get pollen inside.

Pshaw ... that is the wrong way to look at it. The Big Picture is ... This will provide an opportunity for a Bayer licensee to sell Bayer Synthesized Pollen
    to beekeepers.

Just think of how many new jobs will be created, or at least they will spin it that way ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Bayer is also working on a Genetically Modified bee that can tolerate all their chemicals. When they accomplish that they will own the patent and take over the beekeeping market just like they did corn production. Get ready boys and girls BAYER is coming to "rescue" the bees!!

Yes, Bayer is a chemical company and that is exactly why they are proposing a new way to apply chemical acaricides to a hive. I understand the cynicism, but I do not see how this is any different from fumigating a hive via other treatments. It may in fact be a new way in which much lower levels of currently approved substances can be applied. It sounds as though the new technology is the way in which the chemical is released, not the identity of the chemical. In the absence of needed information, I do not have enough information to make a personal judgment. From the release, it sounds as if they are beginning field tests, and I would be interested to know if the agent they are using accumulates in the hive or not (and what that agent is). Once a patent is filed, this information will be available.

ETA: Ah, here is a synopsis of the patent application. The chemical is cyromazine: https://www.google.com/patents/WO201...ed=0CDcQ6AEwAA
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Yeah, no thanks Bayer. Looks expensive.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

FWIW--they use an application system similar to this on the white tail deer population in the more densely populated suburban areas and gov't controlled park and protected lands. Around the feed stations are placed 'collars' of tick-a-cide (ticks=lyme) and I think a birth control drug (pop. control) so the deer has to put it's head and neck through a stanchion like collar like those you see in dairy barns. The stuff rubs off on them when they feed.
    Needless to say, none of the deer hunters I know want anything to do with the deer in those areas, including me. And there are still lots of ticks and deer.

Personally I don't put any chemicals in my hives. They will either adapt or die. IMHO, and I don't want to start
    a big debate about treating or not, this is the only way to eventually beat the problems plaguing bees today.
    More chemicals, no matter if BAYER says they are good or not, need to be added to the list already being dumped
    into the hives by some...

Another GMO bee conspiracy theory?? You don't even understand the implications, costs, and regulations it would take which make the possibility just about nil.

I think this is an interesting concept, but I don't see it really delivering an effective product.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    They will either adapt or die. More chemicals, no matter if BAYER says they are good or not, need to be added to the list already being dumped into the hives by some...
    Adapt or die... brilliant thinking. I assume you use the same tough stance with your families illnesses? How about we use that thinking for the elderly, and premature babies as well? If not, why not if chemicals are so bad for them why not us.

Already convicted of a world wide conspiracy without ever reviewing or knowing the actual product or having proof of any of the claims spouted.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Natural selection. It has worked for millions of years, why mess with it now?
    Only when man tries to intervene in the process do problems begin.

If the bees don't put it in the hive, then I won;t either.